Shop student burned and shocked while working on project

First responders gather around a Snow Canyon High School student after an electrical mishap caused severe burns and trauma Tuesday. St. George, Utah, March 28, 2017 | Photo by Hollie Reina, St. George News

ST. GEORGE — A student at Snow Canyon High School was flown to Salt Lake City Tuesday afternoon, after a shop project went very wrong and he was shocked and burned by an electrical device.

First responders gather around a Snow Canyon High School student after an electrical mishap caused severe burns and trauma Tuesday. St. George, Utah, March 28, 2017 | Photo by Hollie Reina, St. George News

“Today at approximately 1 p.m. it was reported that a student was outside of the shop class, and was on the ground not breathing,” St. George Police Officer Lona Trombley said. “He was found by another shop student after being alone for approximately one to two minutes.”

SGPD Officer Travis Brown reported the student had been working on a project and was shocked and burned by the equipment, Trombley said.

The 17-year-old male had been attempting to burn designs into wood using the electrical current, which he had successfully done several times before.

“He failed to use a surge protector that was on the cart with the equipment,” Trombley said. “He somehow came in contact with jumper cables … and it burned his fingers and hands.”

But the ordeal was not over.

“He fell to the ground from the initial burn,” Trombley said. “At that time the cables fell on his right chest and left arm, continuing to shock him.”

The student’s heart did not stop but his pulse was “highly elevated,” Trombley said. He began breathing again shortly after he was rolled over.

“The student was talking to officers on scene following his rescue,” Trombley said, “He was able to move his arms and legs, but he did suffer severe burns to his hands, right chest and left arm.”

He also broke some of his teeth in the fall.

The student was taken via Intermountain Life Flight to the University of Utah wound clinic for further treatment. His condition was not known at the time of this publication.

Units from the St. George Police and Fire Departments and Gold Cross Ambulance responded to the scene.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Email: rwayman@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews | @NewsWayman

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2017, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Posted in Local, NewsTagged , , , , ,

7 Comments

  • comments March 28, 2017 at 10:38 pm

    was this a homemade contraption? 120 volts or more? seems really strange. Makes you wonder.

  • comments March 28, 2017 at 10:41 pm

    and why let students work with such extremely hazardous equipment? the parents will probably sue the district and get a million bucks.

  • comments March 28, 2017 at 10:43 pm

    Of course about everything in a wood shop can be hazardous , I forgot.

  • debbie March 29, 2017 at 12:20 am

    that is one call a parent doesn’t want to get from the school.. i hope he stays ok. i believe kids should be given responsibility and not spoonfed safety their whole life.. it sounds like however, the young man did not perceive the danger of being too near the jumper cables. maybe the whole thing was a freak accident? i hope shop programs aren’t shut down and even more restrictions given to kids b/c of this. across the nation playgrounds, recess and music programs are being tabled.. often b/c of costs and lawsuits. just stinks when these things happen. poor momma

  • throwawayaccount March 29, 2017 at 4:34 pm

    I’m not sure why they are saying it will be a quick recovery? Right now he is hooked up to machine that breathes for him. He has already had his fingers amputated. Chances are he will never fully recover, he is currently fighting for his life.

    • PamKitty March 30, 2017 at 4:24 pm

      After being so badly burned and losing his fingers, he will never have much of a life anymore. ….
      Ed. ellipsis.

      • comments April 4, 2017 at 11:39 am

        you know i been accused of being a negatist, but u, my friend, u take the gold medal here. hahahahaha

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.