ST. GEORGE — The St. George Chamber Inspiration Luncheon Wednesday will feature Cory Reese, author of the bestselling book “Nowhere Near First: Ultramarathon Adventures From The Back Of The Pack.”
Reese is a social worker, race director and photographer. He has been running ultramarathons for years and is a columnist for UltraRunning Magazine.
An ultramarathon is widely accepted as anything beyond the 26.2 miles of the standard marathon. Typical ultra distances are 50K, 50 miles, 100K and 100 miles.
In July, Reese completed Badwater, a 135-mile race through Death Valley that has been described by National Geographic as “the hardest foot race in the world.”
He joined 90 other endurance athletes July 18 to run from Badwater Basin (280 feet below sea level) in Death Valley to the 8,300-foot peak of Mt. Whitney Portal, California, all in the space of 48 hours. The Badwater 135 is an endurance road race that pits athletes against both the clock and the elements.
During Reese’s Chamber presentation, he will discuss his experience at Badwater and his ideas on how “you can be a healthier you!”
- What: St. George Chamber Inspiration Luncheon featuring Cory Reese.
- When: Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2017 | Doors open at 11:30 a.m.; program begins at noon.
- Where: Dixie State University Gardner Center Ballroom, 225 S. University Avenue, St. George.
- Cost: $15 per person
- Advanced registration is highly recommended. Register online here.
Upcoming Chamber Events
Registration for each of the following events can be completed online.
- Jan. 11 – No luncheon
- Jan. 12 – Economic Summit. Come to the “What’s Up Down South Economic Summit” to hear a slate of experts who will help you reach your business and personal potential. Register here.
- Jan. 16 – Healthy Business Initiative. “Healthy Business, Healthy You!” Join the Chamber in promoting wellness at your workplace at the LiVe Well Center, 652 Medical Center Drive, St. George.
- Jan. 16 – Young Professionals Dinner from 5:30-7 p.m. Evidence-based Leadership/Healthcare round table at the Select Health Auditorium, 1424 E. Foremaster Drive, St. George.
- Jan. 18 – Chamber Connect with presenter Larry Bergeson, superintendent of Washington County School District, 11:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. at The Falls Event Center, 170 S. Mall Drive, St George.
- Jan. 19 – Issues Over Eggs, 7:30-9 a.m., legislation and key issues at the Select Health Auditorium, 1424 E. Foremaster Drive, St. George.
- Jan. 25 – Meet the Chamber, complimentary Chamber lunch, Steamroller Copies, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Jan. 28 – Annual community awards and installation dinner, SunRiver Ballroom, 6:30-8:30 p.m.