Discarded cigarette ignites fire, scorches side of home

ST. GEORGE – Shortly after dealing with a small electrical fire on Main Street Tuesday afternoon, firefighters ran to another fire that was torching the side of a home on 600 North just off Diagonal Street.

At approximately 6 p.m., the St. George Fire Department was dispatched to 600 North where a caller had reported visible smoke and flames on the side of their home.

An outdoor fire scorched the side of a home on 600 North. charring brick and melting siding before it was extinguished, firefighters investigated the attic area to make sure the sure hadn't slipped into that part of the home, St. George, Utah, Aug. 16, 2016 | Photo by Mori Kessler, St. George News
An outdoor fire scorched the side of a home on 600 North, charring brick and melting siding before it was extinguished. Firefighters investigated the attic area to make sure the fire hadn’t slipped into that part of the home, St. George, Utah, Aug. 16, 2016 | Photo by Mori Kessler, St. George News

“Upon our arrival we found that the occupants and some neighbors had actually extinguished the majority of the fire,” St. George Fire Battalion Chief Ken Guard said.

There was still a bit of smoke coming from the attic, and firefighters checked the area to make sure the fire hadn’t extended into the home itself. Only a light amount of smoke actually made it into the attic, Guard said.

The occupants inside the home didn’t notice the fire outside until someone saw the flames through a kitchen window. As they were able to get the bulk of the fire out by the time firefighters arrived, damage to the exterior of the home was minimal. Overall damages are estimated to be approximately $2,200.

No injuries were reported in connection with the fire.

The cause of the fire appears to be accidental, Guard said.

“Basically a discarded cigarette,” he said.

Five fire engines and 22 firefighters responded to the fire. Gold Cross Ambulance, St. George Police and Volunteers in Public Services (VIPS) also responded to the scene.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.

Email: mkessler@stgnews.com

Twitter: @MoriKessler

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2016, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Posted in Local, NewsTagged , , , ,

3 Comments

  • Chris August 17, 2016 at 9:12 am

    Flippin’ a cigarette anywhere other than a proper receptacle isn’t accidental, it’s lazy. There are plenty of places around town or in a vehicle to dispose of them. Thankful we have the kinds of people (citizens, firefighters and police) ready to respond to the thoughtless acts of irresponsible idiots.

  • RealMcCoy August 17, 2016 at 12:20 pm

    How many cigarette fires need to happen before we do something about them?

    I’m not saying we should ban cigarettes; just some simple, common-sense laws to regulate them, and who has access to them.

    – Simple background checks on smokers will eliminate these fires of mass destruction.
    – Requiring people to obtain a license to have cigarettes will eliminate underage smoking and smoking by restricted persons.
    – No one needs an assault pack of 20 cigarettes. Reasonable packs of 10 or less will prevent lung cancer.
    – Making smokers register their cigarettes will prevent the butts in Smoke-Free zones.
    – Strict regulations on people prone to chain smoking will prevent mass smokeouts.

    Our founding fathers never intended for today’s high-nicotine cigarettes to be sold in these assault packs of 20 or more.

    Why on earth does someone need to buy cigarettes by the carton?! They must be up to no good…

    • .... August 17, 2016 at 3:07 pm

      You know if someone buys a carton that is possession with the intent to distribute. ..call a cop !

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.