Homemade ‘sparkler bomb’ severely injures teenager

Licensed under Creative Commons CC0, St. George News

HOUSTON (AP) — A Texas teenager who lit 180 sparklers that were taped together to make a “sparkler bomb” needed to have part of his leg amputated and suffered burns after the sparklers exploded.

A Texas teenager is in serious condition after a homemade firework exploded in his hands, July 4, 2016 | Photo courtesy Wendy Hendrickson Facebook page, mother of injured teen, posted July 4, 2016, St. George News
A Texas teenager was severely injured after a homemade firework exploded, July 2, 2016 | Photo courtesy of Wendy Hendrickson, the teen’s mother, on her Facebook page, posted July 4, 2016, St. George News

The family of 15-year-old Rowdy Radford said he also may lose his vision due to Saturday’s accident.

Matagorda County sheriff’s Sgt. James Orr said Tuesday that the teen was at a home in the Gulf Coast community of Sargent when he wrapped the sparklers together.

The teen’s aunt, Lorin Meadows, told KHOU-TV in Houston that the makeshift device exploded as soon as it was lit.

Orr says family members heard an explosion and rushed outside to find the injured boy with his left leg nearly severed.

Orr says Radford was transported by helicopter to a Houston hospital.

Fox 13 News in Salt Lake City reports the teen remains hospitalized in serious condition with part of his left leg amputated, screws and pins holding both wrists and elbows together, several fingers blown off, severe burns to his hands and face and severe damage to his eyes.

Written by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Email: news@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

 

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

5 Comments

  • ladybugavenger July 5, 2016 at 9:19 pm

    Oh my!

  • .... July 6, 2016 at 2:42 am

    Another recipient of the dumbob award !

  • knobe July 6, 2016 at 6:57 am

    Some things are an ‘ accident ‘ BUT . . .
    ” teenager who lit 180 sparklers that were taped together to make a “sparkler bomb” ”
    NOT really an accident !

  • .... July 6, 2016 at 10:16 am

    Classify that as a RealMcStupid !

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.