Fire torches SUV on car lot

WASHINGTON CITY – A vehicle fire on Buena Vista Boulevard Wednesday left the side of a building scorched and parts of an SUV pooled in a melted pile on the ground.

An SUV is a total loss after potential mechanical issues caused it to catch fire, Washington City, Utah, June 1, 2016 | Photo by Mori Kessler, St. George News
An SUV is a total loss after potential mechanical issues caused it to catch fire, Washington City, Utah, June 1, 2016 | Photo by Mori Kessler, St. George News

At approximately 2:20 p.m., the Washington City Fire Department was alerted to a fire at the Easy Auto Sales dealership. An SUV parked in front of the dealership’s office had caught fire, Washington City Fire Chief Matt Evans said.

The fire had completely engulfed the engine compartment of the SUV while also scorching the side of the building. Heat from the fire blew out a window in the office and melted siding.

“Fortunately it didn’t extend into the structure at all,” Evans said.

While the damage to the office could’ve been much worse, the SUV was a total loss.

The cause of the fie appeared to be mechanical in nature and possibly connected to the SUV’s battery system, Evans said.

No injuries were reported in connection with the fire.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery. 

Email: mkessler@stgnews.com

Twitter: @MoriKessler

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2016, all rights reserved.

 

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Posted in Local, NewsTagged , ,

7 Comments

  • DB June 3, 2016 at 2:23 pm

    “The deal on this car is RED HOT!” Sorry, someone had to say it…

  • Proud Rebel June 3, 2016 at 2:51 pm

    Bet that gave a few bad moments to anyone who was in the office at the time this happened!

  • Bob June 3, 2016 at 5:23 pm

    The ad will read: “great used SUV, super low miles (only 280,000), small amount of fire damage (hardly noticeable). needs TLC, but on sale now for only $14,000. a hot deal! at this price. a deal so hot it will go up in flames”

  • ladybugavenger June 3, 2016 at 9:55 pm

    Spontaneous combustion. It’s so hot here!

  • knobe June 4, 2016 at 6:50 am

    So the business does Not keep a fire extinguisher on site ?
    Or the staff was untrained in using one ?

    Are they going to remedy that ?

    ?

  • .... June 4, 2016 at 5:40 pm

    all employees are now required to bring marshmellows and sticks to work

    • Mean Momma June 5, 2016 at 5:15 pm

      Hahaha! That is hilarious! Oh…. It’s marshmallows …. Duhhhhhhhh

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.