ST. GEORGE — The Southern Utah Art Guild opened their winter show, “Winter in the Desert,” Friday in the Red Cliff Gallery, featuring 131 pieces of art of all media — 2-D and 3-D — from 56 artists. Coinciding with the opening, the guild announced the winners of the show.
Judges for the “Winter in the Desert” show were internationally known artist Bev Doolittle and her husband, Jay Doolittle. The winners are as follows:
- Best of Show to Ralph Edwin “Eddi” Malloy for “Katchina” – watercolor
- First Place to George Kehew for “Color Country Winter” – acrylic
- Second Place to Peg Wheeler for “Winter Morning -Waiting for the Sun” – oil
- Third Place to Evie Atkin for “Antler Dance” – gourd
(report continues below)
The following artists received honorable mentions:
- JoAnn Merrill for “Winter Afternoon at Bryce” – photo with acrylic
- John Mangels for “Descending” – mixed media
- Mary Curtis for “Bowl of Knots” – gourd
- Carol Bold for “Sundown Over Cedar Breaks” – linocut
- Carol Bold for “Winter Breaks” – acrylic
- Robert Ford for “Tracks Thru Snow in Rockville” – photography
The “Winter in the Desert” show runs through Feb. 25. The Red Cliff Gallery is located in the St. George City Commons building at 220 N. 200 East in St. George. The show is open Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Additional art from the Southern Utah Art Guild can be viewed in the Arrowhead Gallery located in the Electric Theater Center, 68 E. Tabernacle, St. George. The Arrowhead Gallery is open Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Southern Utah Art Guild website
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.