ST. GEORGE – The St. George Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the area of 1400 North and 1500 West around 8:15 a.m. Friday.
A passerby saw smoke coming out from the eves of a home and called 911, St. George Fire Chief Robert Stoker said. When fire crews arrived on the scene, they found a fire in the attic that had apparently been smoldering through the area for several hours.
“There are several trusses and wall plates that are burned completely through,” Stoker said, adding that the home’s cellulose paper insulation helped keep the bulk of the fire to the attic area.
“(The fire) didn’t break out into open burning,” Stoker said. “It looks like it was smoldering for several hours.”
Though fire crews appeared to have the fire knocked down by 9:30 a.m., Stoker said firefighters were still taking out parts of the ceiling and walls to make sure there were no lingering hotspots.
The cause of the fire appears to have been accidental and potentially electrical in origin, as there are signs of wiring going through the area where the fire originally ignited, Stoker said.
“Most of the damage is on the inside of the home in the ceiling and walls,” Stoker said. “There is no exterior damage.”
No injuries were reported in connection with fire. The home where the fire occurred is currently being remodeled and is unoccupied, though the homeowners had intended to move in next week.
Four fire trucks and a ladder truck responded to the fire. Units of the St. George Police and Gold Cross Ambulance were also on hand.
This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.