IVINS — The Southern Utah Veterans Home will host its 2nd annual Veterans Day 5K and Fun Run Saturday, 160 N. 200 East in Ivins. The event features a 5K race and a 1-mile Fun Run and Walk and Roll for veterans, individuals with disabilities or community members that would like to show their support for veterans by walking with them in celebration of Veterans Day.
Proceeds from race registrations and community sponsors will be donated on-site after the race to the Washington County JROTC program.
For the skilled nursing facility, now 2 years old, its press release said, community engagement plays an integral role in providing the best possible quality of life for their residents, and events like the Veterans Day 5K and Fun Run provide an opportunity to bring people of all ages together to pay homage to the dedication of our nation’s soldiers.
“The Southern Utah Veterans Home not only serves veterans, but we also strive to support currently deployed soldiers and the future soldiers and military leaders of our country,” Community Relations Director Vie Van Noy said. “The Washington County JROTC helps develop young men and women to be great soldiers, leaders and responsible community members. For Veterans Day, we want to bring as many people together as possible to support and celebrate those who have, do and will fight for our freedoms.”
George E. Elwell Jr., Ivins City Council member and Marine Corps Veteran said:
It seems appropriately fitting that the Veterans Home is hosting this Fun Run, Walk & Roll to benefit the JROTC program, which imbues within our youth, male and female cadets the attributes demonstrated by our veterans, such as leadership, discipline, service and patriotism.
The race day festivities will kick off with the JROTC Color Guard posting the colors, followed by the Fun Run, Walk and Roll led by Cadet Dayne Nourse. Nourse suffers from a form of brittle bone disease called osteogenesis imperfecta.
As a result of the disease, Nourse has been in a wheelchair since he was 8. In spite of his disability, Nourse shows strength in many ways and his dream is to be a soldier and serve his country. Though today Nourse may not have a way to serve in the military, he is enthusiastic in his support of veterans and the Air Force JROTC program that he is extremely proud to be a part of, according to the press release.
Dayne Nourse’s father, retired news anchor Dick Nourse, will be on hand to support his son, the AFJROTC and the veteran residents of Southern Utah Veterans Home. The facility’s team is excited about and looking forward to including the Nourse family as part of the event, the press release said.
Registration for the event is available online now.
“Spectating is free,” Van Noy said. “We’d love to see the community come out to enjoy the event and support our local veterans. The opportunity to walk a mile with veterans who’ve served our country and fought for our freedoms is priceless. And so is the opportunity to support our future military leaders.”
Roll participants using wheelchair or motorized wheelchairs must be accompanied by a walking participant.
- For questions regarding registration or for additional event information please contact Vie Van Noy by phone: Office: 435-634-5220 | Cell: 435-619-9663
- What: Veterans Day 5K and Fun Run
- Where: Southern Utah Veterans Home, 160 N. 200 East, Ivins
- When: 7:30 a.m. registration opens | 9:30 a.m. Color Guard Posting of Colors | 9:45 a.m. Fun Run, Walk & Roll start | 10 a.m. 5K start | 11:45 a.m. donation check presentation to JROTC
- Fee: Family registration $75, 5 person limit | General Registration $35 for 5K, $15 for 1 Mile Fun Run, Walk and Roll
- Registration: Online: active.com | In person: Visit the Southern Utah Veterans Home, 160 N. 200 East, Ivins
- Additional information: General registration fees include 2nd annual Veterans Day 5K and Fun Run t-shirt and participation dog tag while supplies last.