UPDATE: Authorities identify individuals involved in head-on crash near Zion

Two Washington City residents were injured in a head-on collision on SR-9 just outside of Zion National Park, Virgin, Utah, July 19, 2015 | Photo courtesy of Utah Highway Patrol, St. George News

VIRGIN — The Utah Highway Patrol has released the names of the individuals involved in a head-on collision outside of Zion National Park Sunday resulting in two people being transported to the hospital with one in serious condition.

Just before 3:45 p.m., an eastbound Ford Taurus, driven by a 16-year-old Hurricane resident, began to pass a motorhome at milepost 22 near the town of Rockville. The highway is only two lanes at this location and is marked as a passing zone.

When the 16-year-old realized he couldn’t pass in time, he hit the brakes, sending the car into a skid. The car collided head-on with a westbound Plymouth Prowler convertible driven by 51-year-old Timothy Chard, of Washington City.

Chard was taken by Life Flight helicopter in critical condition to Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George, while his passenger, 34-year-old Erin Chard, also of Washington City, was taken to Dixie Regional via ambulance.

There were three passengers in the Taurus — 18-year-old Josh Brown, of LaVerkin, 20-year-old Dillan Dotson, of Hurricane, and a 16-year-old boy from LaVerkin — none of whom reported any serious injuries.

Impairment is not suspected in this crash at this time, according to the UHP.

All involved were wearing seat belts and airbags were deployed in both vehicles.

Both lanes of traffic were blocked by the vehicles and debris and the roadway was closed for nearly an hour.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.

Related posts

Email: rwayman@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews | @NewsWayman

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.

Posted in Local, NewsTagged , , , , ,

• fun bag July 20, 2015 at 12:48 am

I don’t think the driving test was open book back when i first got my license at 16. i remember having to study and memorize the different driving rules. Times be a changin’ i guess…

• Mike July 20, 2015 at 8:36 am

The first test is still closed book. More driving experience might have helped the judgement of this driver. Especially when the road is full of tourists, just slow down and enjoy the view.

• old school July 20, 2015 at 7:18 am

If still in place, I belive there are laws which states; A 16 year old driver may not transport passengers unless a 21 year old licensed driver is seated next to them. And was put in place to prevent distracted driving incidents very similar to this.

• sagemoon July 20, 2015 at 8:54 am

Is Timothy Chard a police officer?

• Real Life July 20, 2015 at 10:08 am

Sixteen year olds should not be behind the wheel. Case in point.

• native born new mexican July 20, 2015 at 12:45 pm

I was driving when I was 16. I never got in an accident. I think it is the driver and not the age. They will not be better drivers at 18 if they have no driving experience. We need to let kids grow up and take adult responsibility. There are too many 24 and 25 year old adolescents in this country. I was grown and on my own when I was 17. I graduated from high school at that age then moved on with my life. I never lived at home again nor did my folks come running to get me out problems because I didn’t get into them. I knew mom and dad weren’t coming to the rescue.

• fun bag July 20, 2015 at 3:15 pm

tell us about how you grew up in that orphanage in Siberia and and to walk 20 miles in the snow to school everyday…

• native born new mexican July 20, 2015 at 7:05 pm

Are you a 24 year old adolescent still living in your mom’s back room fun bag? You sound like it at times. You know exactly what I am saying but you just can’t resist making idiot remarks anyway. I know I asked you before what you have in the place where your brain should be but you can’t answer.

• fun bag July 20, 2015 at 8:11 pm

It’s hard to resist since you already line up the ducks with your inane comments… all in good fun tho, buddy… 😉

• 42214 July 20, 2015 at 8:39 pm

WOE IS ME vs Fun Bag. Battle of the biggest losers

• mesaman July 20, 2015 at 10:58 pm

Go take your dog for a walk, scumbag. Your continual banter is much like hemorrhoids are to a long distance runner.

• 42214 July 21, 2015 at 10:11 am

Mesa, I bet if you were around at the time of Mtn Meadows you would have been a proud Participant. Probably dressed up as an Indian. You just strike me as the type.

• fun bag July 21, 2015 at 10:42 am

MESA would eat a 5 gallon pale of dog turds if church leadership told him to… maybe he already has?…

• Dolly July 20, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Teenage drivers scare the ____out of me! I’ve nearly been nailed a few times here in town. Speeding, tailgating, cutting in and out of lanes. Teens: driving is NOT a video game and there are real-life consequences.

• tigerx July 20, 2015 at 7:04 pm

Fact is that road has always been dangerous. Age may have a factor but people do live out there or work and tourist really need to pull over if there going to sight see rather than drive extremely slow. Driving slow is a hazard especially on a road with that many tight turns. Let’s not forget the bicyclist out there that ride that line as well. Pull over if your going to site see and drive 5mph under the speed limit around the turns. Never know what’s around the next turn. Be safe everyone!