GUNLOCK — The Triple Crown Rodeo Series begins Thursday and goes through Saturday in Gunlock with calf roping, barrel racing, a chicken chase, a donkey-watermelon race and more.
The Gunlock Rodeo has been held annually since 1945, featuring contestants of all ages from throughout the western states.
This weekend’s Rodeo is the first in a series of three events throughout the summer. The second two rodeos will be held in Enterprise at the end of July and in Veyo Aug. 7-8.
The unique donkey-watermelon race is made up of 10 teams of two people. They ride together bareback on a donkey to the end of the arena, grab a watermelon and try to make it back with the melon intact.
Shows begin every night at 8 p.m., and Friday is “Steak ‘n’ Tater” night. Head over to concessions for some hot food.
This event is perfect for the whole family. Tickets are $5 for adults, $3 for children 6-12 and free for children six and under.
- What: The Triple Crown Rodeo Series
- When: July 2-4, 8 p.m.
- Where: 77 N. Main Street, Gunlock
- Admission: $5 for adults, $3 for children 6-12, free for children six and under
- ‘Jacob Hamblin Days’ rein in Kanab heritage; rodeo, trail ride, Island in the Sky hike
- St. George Lions crown Dixie Roundup Rodeo Queen, Princess; STGnews Videocast
- Southern Utah Junior Rodeo Association launches; building character on horseback; STGnews Videocast
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.