ST. GEORGE — A special honor was given to the St. George Utah Senior Citizens Center Friday. AARP representatives were on hand during the lunch hour to present the center with the “Top State Host” award, recognizing the center’s collaboration with AARP for its classroom-based driver refresher course.
The center presented the course 12 times during calendar year 2014, reaching 120 participants. This is the greatest number of classes and participation in the state of Utah. The certificate was presented to Senior Center Representative Jeanie Johnson and instructor Dave Chapman by Victor Lorch of AARP.
“(This class) is designed for people over 50 who want to enhance or learn more about their driving skills,” Lorch said. “It also entitles them to a discount on their auto insurance if their auto insurance carrier gives such a discount.”
“AARP Driver Safety plays a critical role in educating drivers and helping them maintain their safety and independence,” interim national director of AARP driver safety, Kyle Rakow, said. “Our initiative would not be successful without the support of host organizations.”
Details and contact information
- When: The second Friday of every month
- Where: St. George Utah Senior Citizens Center, 245 N. 200 West
- For more information, visit the St. George Utah Senior Citizens Center website or call 435-634-5743.
- St. George Senior Center presents Celebrating Wellness Expo
- Cool awning ceremony for St. George Senior Center
- St. George Senior Center: A myriad of social opportunities for active older citizens
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.