ST. GEORGE — The Utah Downed Biker Fund invites the community to the Third Annual Southern Utah Downed Biker Fund Rally Saturday at 8:30 a.m. at Desert Thunder Cycle Works, 955 N. 1300 West, No. 6, in St. George.
Steve Zohner, 58, was the first biker to benefit from the fund and, after two years of therapy and surgeries, is beginning to feel like himself again.
“My life has changed completely since the accident,” Zohner said in an earlier interview. “I’m having to learn how to live again. But I’m so grateful to still be here. Things could be a lot worse.”
On March 4, 2013, Zohner was riding along Old Highway 91 when he lost control and skidded off the road on a curve near mile marker 12, slamming his body into a road sign. He sustained numerous life-threatening injuries, the most serious of which were a severe cervical spine fracture, collapsed lungs and blood clot in a main artery. In a matter of days, Zohner went into cardiac arrest and was revived twice and endured two major operations to repair his fractured neck.
Read more: Community rallies around motorcycle accident victim in critical condition; recovery ‘miracles happening’
Chuck Wolcott, Utah State Elder for the Bikers for Christ and organizer of the rally for the fund, said Zohner is walking around, doing extremely well, but still has some residual brain injury.
“We’re really happy the biker community has come forward to support the fund very well,” Wolcott said. “The most really rewarding part is to go to people who are either in the hospital or just newly out of the hospital and give them a check and just see how blessed and grateful they are.”
In 2013, the Downed Biker Fund rally was created in the St. George area chapter and raised $1,300 and about $2,700 in 2014, all going to local riders like Zohner.
To help bikers alleviate some medical costs associated with a motorcycle crash, the rally will donate all proceeds to the Utah Downed Biker Fund. Registration is a $20 donation per person and includes two drawing tickets and lunch wristband. A continental breakfast will be provided by Desert Thunder Cycle Works.
The local ride begins at 9:30 a.m., ending at 11:30 a.m., departing at Desert Thunder Cycle Works with the route yet to be finalized. The ride will end at Zion Harley Davidson, located at 2345 N. Coral Canyon Blvd., and will include lunch, event prize drawings and live music.
Lunch will be at 11 a.m., all to the tune of Prime Time the Band. The cut-off time for turning in your raffle tickets is 12:30 p.m. Tickets will be available at Desert Thunder and Zion Harley Davidson. Prize drawings will begin at 12:30 p.m. for all prizes, and participants must be present to win. A limited number of event T-shirts will be available for a donation of $5.
Prizes and sponsors for the event include:
- Accent Internet (Jason Nelson) – $40 cash
- Bed Bath & Beyond – $20 gift certificate
- Big-O Tires on Bluff (Nic Blake) – Free oil change ($35 value)
- Costco – $20 gift card
- DATS Trucking/Overland Petroleum – three $50 gas gift cards
- Keller Williams Realty SG (Cara Street) – three car washes at Fabulous Freddy’s
- Leather & Bone Hair Company – $100 gift certificate
- Lin’s Market – seven cases of water
- McMullin Legal Group (Andrew Spainhower) – BlueTooth Headset
- Outwest Heating & Air – free service call
- Perks Expresso + Smoothies – $25 gift card
- Saints Ink Tattoo – three $100 gift certificates
- Swag Lounge Marketing (Cara Street) – $25 gift card at Pizza Factory
- Torres Custom Auto Interiors – $100 credit for work
Utah Downed Biker Fund
The Utah Downed Biker Fund is bikers helping bikers involved in a motorcycle accident requiring hospitalization through a one-time financial gift, assistance and counseling regardless of race, color, religion or club affiliation.
Reporters Alexa Verdugo Morgan and Cami Cox Jim contributed to this report.
- What: Utah Downed Biker Fund Ralley
- When: June 6, 8:30 a.m.
- Where: Desert Thunder Cycle Works, 955 N. 1300 West, number six, St. George
- Registration: $20
- Utah Downed Biker Fund website
- Contact: Roxanne Leonard, 435-229-6911 or Chuck Wolcott, 435-272-7520
- Fallen biker’s battle to get back on his feet; fundraising event
- Bikers helping bikers in need; Utah Downed Biker Fund, weekend benefit ride – 2013
- Gold Wing Road Riders Convention rolls in for drills, fun, show; STGnews Videocast and Photo Gallery
- Community rallies around motorcycle accident victim in critical condition; recovery ‘miracles happening’
- Motorcycle rider airlifted following accident on Old Highway 91
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.