Police release details surrounding home fire that killed mother, 2 children, 2 pets

ENOCH – Authorities have released the details surrounding a fire that destroyed an Enoch City home Monday night and killed three family members and two family pets.

At approximately 10:22 p.m. Monday, the Enoch City Police Department received a report of a house on fire at 4568 N. Pioneer Drive, the Police Department said in a press statement issued Tuesday afternoon.

Three people died after their home caught fire in the night, Enoch, Utah, April 13, 2015 | Photo by Amy Palmer, St. George News and KCSG Television
Three people died after their home caught fire in the night, Enoch, Utah, April 13, 2015 | Photo by Amy Palmer, St. George News and KCSG Television

Witnesses reported they could see flames in the house and that the fire had spread to vehicles parked in the driveway. They also reported they believed people were inside the home.

Enoch City Police officers, Iron County Sheriff’s deputies and Utah Highway Patrol troopers were the first to arrive on scene.

“They attempted to enter the home through a window,”the statement said, “but when they broke it there was such an intense amount of heat and smoke they couldn’t make entry. The fire had grown so much that attempts at rescuing the people inside were unsafe.”

A few minutes later, the Cedar City Fire Department arrived on scene and fought the fire for several minutes before it was safe for them to enter the home, according to the statement.

Once fire crews entered the home, they discovered Francis Brewington, 70, and her two children, Cynthia Shaffer, 46, and Jay Brewington, 32, dead inside the home, the statement said.

The family’s dog and cat were also found dead inside the home. A second cat was found alive inside the home and was rescued by firefighters.

Three people died after their home caught fire in the night, Enoch, Utah, April 13, 2015 | Photo by Amy Palmer, St. George News and KCSG Television
Three people died after their home caught fire in the night, Enoch, Utah, April 13, 2015 | Photo by Amy Palmer, St. George News and KCSG Television

Firefighters continued battling the blaze throughout the night while the Enoch City Police Department and Utah State Fire Marshals investigated the incident.

“We were able to determine that the fire started in the garage on the south side of the house,” the statement said. “Heat lamps inside the garage surrounded by straw and other flammable items may have been what started the fire.”

Notification was made to the family’s next of kin, who lives out of state.

The three decedents were transported to the Utah State Medical Examiner’s Office in Salt Lake City for autopsies.

The Enoch City Animal Shelter has been in touch with the family and is working with them and rescue groups to find temporary placement for several animals found on the property, including horses, geese, dogs and cats, until a permanent solution can be found.

“This is a very tragic accident and we want to express our condolences to family and friends of the deceased,” the Enoch City Police Department said.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery. 

Related posts

Email: kscott@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

1 Comment

  • fun bag April 14, 2015 at 6:44 pm

    seems folks forget basic fire safety way too easily. hopefully others can learn from this

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.