KANAB — The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument announced Monday it is seeking public nominations for five open positions on its 15-member Monument Advisory Committee, which provides advice and recommendation on science issues and the achievement of the monument’s plan objectives. Nominations are due into Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument by May 6.
The monument advisory committee is composed of citizens chosen for their expertise in land use planning and the management of lands under Bureau of Land Management.
“The MAC is integral to the management of the Monument,” Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument Manager Cindy Staszak said. “The committee’s diversity – scientists, elected officials, educators, business and environmental leaders – provides me and my staff with a broader insight into issues impacting the Monument and the surrounding communities; and in effect, enhances our ability to manage the Monument lands for multiple uses where appropriate, as an outdoor laboratory for scientific research, all the while conserving resources for future generations.”
People may nominate themselves or others to serve on the advisory committee.
Nominees will be judged on the basis of their training, education, and knowledge of the geographical area the committee is charged with. Nominees should also demonstrate a commitment to consensus building and collaborative decision making.
All nominations must be accompanied by letters of reference from any represented interests or organizations; a completed background information nomination form, available from the monument; and any other information that speaks to the nominee’s qualifications.
Three members will be appointed as follows, one from each of the categories listed below:
- A livestock grazing permittee, to represent livestock operators
- A representative of the state
- A tribal representative to represent tribal interests on the monument
Two members will be appointed as special government employees, one for each of the following areas of expertise:
- Systems ecology
The specific category the nominee would be representing should be identified both in the letters of recommendation and the nomination form.
Nomination forms can be downloaded from the Monument website, or search “GSENM” on your favorite search engine, and look at “In The Spotlight.”
Nominations should be sent by May 6 to:
Larry Crutchfield, Public Affairs Officer
GSENM Headquarters Office
669 South Highway 89A
Kanab, Utah 84741
- BLM website
- 2015 Individual Nomination Form – 2015
- Contact: Larry Crutchfield, Public Affairs Officer
- GSENM Headquarters Office, 669 South Highway 89A, Kanab, Utah 84741
- Phone: 435-644-1209
- Fax: 435-644-1305
- Trouble for Healthy Utah: Committee votes in favor of opposing ‘Utah Cares’ proposal
- City Council approves support for racing events, formation of tourism committee
- Stewart, Hatch, Lee introduce bills to protect Utah’s grazing rights, Grand Staircase-Escalante
- Grand Staircase-Escalante invites applications for 2015 Artist-in-Residence program
- Grand Staircase-Escalante grazing management plan; public comment opportunities