Agricultural burn reignites, causing structure fire; STGnews Videocast

WASHINGTON CITY — A structure fire in Washington City left a family without their shed on Monday when the wind brought the remains of an agricultural burn back to life.

A Washington A Washington City Firefighter sprays water on the remains of a shed that caught fire Monday afternoon after wind reignited the remains of an agricultural burn, Washington City, Utah, Feb. 16, 2014 | Photo by Devan Chavez, St. George News
A Washington City firefighter sprays water on the remains of a shed that caught fire Monday afternoon after wind reignited the remains of an agricultural burn, Washington City, Utah, Feb. 16, 2014 | Photo by Devan Chavez, St. George News

At approximately 4 p.m., members of the Washington City Fire Department responded to a structure fire near Harvest Lane, volunteer Washington City Fire Captain Jerry Allred said.

Earlier in the day, Allred said, the department was called to the same location for what ended up being an agricultural burn. After assessing the situation, the man burning the weeds was asked to not burn anymore that day because of the high winds.

When the call of another fire came in, Allred said, they at first thought it was the same agricultural burn, but then learned that a shed in the area had caught fire.

“We got it pretty well extinguished before,” Allred said, “but the wind just picked up and started … the building on fire.”

The remains of a bike lay in ashes after firefighters extinguish a structure fire, Washington City, Utah, Feb. 16, 2015 | Photo by Devan Chavez, St. George News
The remains of a bike lay in ashes after firefighters extinguish a structure fire, Washington City, Utah, Feb. 16, 2015 | Photo by Devan Chavez, St. George News

The flames from the shed reached up to 15 feet, Allred said, because of the plywood and other materials the shed was made of. The fire did not damage the home or other property, but the shed and all its contents will likely be considered a total loss.

While the man who is responsible for the agricultural burn will not be given a fine for the fire, Allred said, he will be held responsible for the cost of the shed. He also said he hopes people will take this as a lesson of when it is not a good idea to burn.

“People, when they are burning, got to be conscious,” Allred said. “You know, get a burn permit and then … if the wind is up you got to get stuff out; and don’t burn when it is windy.”

Videocast contributed by Reporter Melissa Anderson for KCSG and St. George News.

The area of a previous agricultural burn continues to smolder hours after Washington City Fire Department asked the burner to cease due to the high wind, Washington City, Utah, Feb. 16, 2014 | Photo by Devan Chavez, St. George News
The area of a previous agricultural burn continues to smolder hours after Washington City Fire Department asked the burner to cease due to the high winds, Washington City, Utah, Feb. 16, 2014 | Photo by Devan Chavez, St. George News

Related Posts

Email: dchavez@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Posted in NewsTagged , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.