Burnt dinner prompts building evacuation

Firefighters respond to a possible structure fire at 58 South 600 East only to find smoke from overcooked food, St. George, Utah, Nov. 26, 2014 | Photo by Mori Kessler, St. George News

ST. GEORGE – The St. George Fire Department responded to what was initially reported as a structure fire Wednesday, only to discover that the reported smoke was coming from overcooked food left on a stove.

“When crews arrived on scene, there was light smoke showing,” St. George Fire Battalion Chief Ken Guard said.

At least three fire engines and their crews were dispatched to a fourplex, located at 50 South 600 East in St. George, around 4:20 p.m.

Smoke was coming from one of the upstairs apartments and the occupants of the building had been evacuated.

The first fire crew on the scene entered the apartment and encountered heavier smoke inside. They then found the source of the smoke.

“No flames,” Guard said, “just food cooked on the on the stove, completely. The crew told me the pot was melted to the stove.”

The stove was subsequently shut off and the apartment was ventilated. Outside of the building it was hard to miss the smell of the overcooked food.

No injuries were reported in the incident.

Click on a photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery

Related posts

Email: mkessler@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Posted in NewsTagged , , ,

9 Comments

  • My Evil Twin November 26, 2014 at 7:44 pm

    Uh honey, can we go OUT for dinner tonight? 🙂

    • Zonkerb November 27, 2014 at 6:53 am

      Really..? Yawwwwwwn so lame

  • The Rest Of The Story November 26, 2014 at 11:59 pm

    That melted pot will show up in the D.I. in about a week. And those idiots will price it at $5.00.

    • Zonkerb November 27, 2014 at 6:54 am

      Nah I think 4 dollars

  • Herd November 27, 2014 at 8:13 am

    Hey, hey good lookin’. Whatcha got cookin’?

  • DB November 27, 2014 at 3:35 pm

    That’s what happens when you use the smoke alarm as a kitchen timer…Does Golden Corral “do” Thanksgiving?

  • M and M cookies November 27, 2014 at 5:41 pm

    We all have had some different holiday experiences, this person should have taken home economics classes in high school… Or watch foodtv network instead of those reality Shows, of course we don,t know if the cook was wearing a tying under the apron??? Get it?????

  • Joanna November 28, 2014 at 12:43 pm

    “Simmer uncovered at medium heat until pot is melted to stove…”

  • Koolaid December 1, 2014 at 8:37 am

    The cook obviously was not barefoot and pregnant, or she would have been in the kitchen

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.