Family of doctor killed in scuba diving incident issues statement

Jared Royer is pictured with his family, date and location not specified | Photo courtesy of Jared Royer family, for St. George News

ST. GEORGE – The family of Jared Royer, a Santa Clara resident and Dixie Regional Medical Center anesthesiologist who was killed Monday in a scuba diving incident in Catalina Island, California, issued a statement Friday regarding Royer’s death.

We are working with authorities in California to return Jared to Utah and make funeral arrangements,” the statement said. “Once this is complete, a date and location for the services will be announced.”

The family members have asked the public to respect their privacy during this tragedy and have designated a spokesperson to speak for the family during this time.

Donations to aid the family are being accepted, according to the statement, and contributions to the Jared Royer Memorial Fund can be made at Zions Bank locations of via gofundme.com.

A portion of the statement from the family:

Our husband and father Jared Royer died unexpectedly this week while on a scuba trip in Southern California. Jared looked forward to any adventure and lived with enthusiasm and zest. He loved cycling, running, hiking, swimming, camping, and any opportunity to enjoy the beauties of the world.

We are so grateful to our many friends and family who are rallying around as we struggle with the grief of Jared’s passing.

We want to thank the rescue workers who gave so much time and effort searching for Jared.  We are especially grateful to the scuba community volunteers who did not give up even when the official search ended.

Royer is survived by his wife and four children.

Related posts

Email: cjim@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.

Posted in NewsTagged , , , , , , , , , ,

• DAVE RABBITT October 3, 2014 at 8:05 pm

It is not my intention to be rude, but “why” does the family of an anesthesiologist… who could afford to vacation in Catalina Island… “NEED DONATIONS”??? Every time someone FARTS in Southern Utah, someone else wants to start a fundraiser for them. Say a prayer, comment support… but for the love of PETE – gimme a flippin’ break, with the “gofundme” bs!!!

• Dana October 4, 2014 at 6:34 am

Well frankly, you are being rude and insensitive. This family has just lost a father and a husband, His extended family and friends have lost someone they loved and treasured. The community has lost a doctor. Has it ever occurred to you that like everyone else, this family may have bills to pay…mortgage, student loans, MALPRACTICE Insurance, etc. If you don’t want to participate in helping this family, then don’t. Go back into your own little world surrounded by mirrors that say “it’s all about me.”

• Andy October 4, 2014 at 8:13 am

What happened to sending cards, flowers and casseroles?

• Koolaid October 4, 2014 at 9:35 am

Only if they are the worthy sort, of course. No fundraisers for gentiles.

• CALI GIRL October 4, 2014 at 10:41 am

True…Sometimes it is a meant to be nothing but a sarcastic remark.
      LDS/UTAH STATES GO TO THE CHURCH & YOUR FAMILY FOR HELP.
      This family has money they just want a handout. LOL.

• John Belushi October 4, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Dave, your sentiments fit mine exactly. This fundraising fad, while extremely generous and heartfelt, is so very strange. I was disgusted when the Hurricane lady who officially unintentionally left her baby in the car received thousands of dollars. What’s more, don’t Mormons believe that in the fabled “pre-existence” they chose the life they would inhabit, especially including all of its problems and “crosses to bear”? If that’s the case, why is there any mercy or caring since everyone knew what they were getting in to and purposely chose difficulties and tragedies to earn higher rewards points in the mythical tiered-heaven?

• Anna October 10, 2014 at 8:22 pm

How incredibly rude and intrusive of you. Maybe people have been asking to donate and this is just information on how they can. Who cares anyways and what business is it of yours ? If you don’t want to donate money, then don’t and just shut up. Jeez, I hope your family never suffers this kind of tragedy and then have people criticize and judge them. Besides, where does it say that his family needs money ?, You don’t know who started the fund or why. I knew Dr. Royer professionally, he was a great man and a great anesthesiologist. Don’t you dare question his family or their motives, you don’t have the right.

• Bobber October 3, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Who remembers when Steve Irwin got killed by a Manta Ray while scuba diving???

• Mean Momma October 3, 2014 at 11:49 pm

My condolences to the family. May you find peace and comfort.

• Koolaid October 4, 2014 at 8:26 am

Are there fundraisers everytime somebody dies by accident or natural causes?

• Hey, Joyce... October 4, 2014 at 8:30 am

Is there a computer glitch in the comment section or have new regulations been adopted? I have seen a few comments in the thumbnails on the right, but they aren’t included under the article. I have noticed one for this article and three for the article about the stolen license plate.

• Joyce Kuzmanic Joyce Kuzmanic October 4, 2014 at 9:45 am

There may be, I’ll look and consult with our wizards – stand by, and thank you, Hey … 😀
      Joyce
      EIC

• Samantha October 4, 2014 at 8:52 am

I’m really sorry for your lost and hope that your family will be ok and just no we are all praying for you

• Whisp October 4, 2014 at 10:02 am

So sorry for this family and that these beautiful children will not have more time with their father. One of a parents worst fears is to not be there to raise their children to adulthood.

• Concerned October 4, 2014 at 11:57 am

Wow! You people are brutal! Have you ever thought that when the void Dr. died, so did his income? Now there is a single mom with four kids who has to figure out how to support then for the rest of their life without the help of a continued income from theory father??!! True he may have life insurance or something but in a situation like this the last thing you want to have to think about is money. If you can’t love and support this family in their time of need, don’t comment at all. I really hope you never have your world fall apart and need the help and support of others because karma can be a brutal think just like your unkind words! I shudder at the thought of this poor family reading your comments. Especially where they have done nothing wrong and probably had nothing to do with the fund being set up anyway! It’s standard protocol to set up a fund for a family when faced with expense of a funeral. This situation is probably particularly expensive where the body had to be transported across states!

• Concerned October 4, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I just realized I have a lot of typos due to auto correct on my phone. Now I can’t figure out how to edit it, but you get the point. Please just be nice to this sweet family.

• SocietyProblemo October 4, 2014 at 4:10 pm

To concerned I am saddened by the loss of this young man however. Your points are inadequate for any intelligent conversation. Starting with the family has a loss of income. If the father loves his family he will have life insurance that covers his death plus at least 5 times worth his yearly income. This will give his spose plenty of time to find someone else, a job, or have an investment that will make them income. Okay maybe insurance doesn’t cover scuba. If you love your family then don’t perticipate in any activity your insurance won’t cover. But again to the family we are saddened and hope for the best to you all

• Koolaid October 4, 2014 at 6:09 pm

If he thinks about his family, maybe he won’t participate in risky activities, unless he has a lot of insurance to cover them.

• The Rest Of The Story October 4, 2014 at 10:53 pm

A lot of life insurance policies do not pay on certain activities–skydiving and SCUBA accidents are among them. Not to mention, he may still have been paying off student loans.

• Bobber October 4, 2014 at 11:00 pm

It is a little strange that their doing a fundraiser. I would expect an MD to have generous death benefits that would last the family a long time if not indefinitely. No?

• Shane Cox October 5, 2014 at 12:01 am

I knew this wonderful family and my most heartfelt condolences go out to them. The lady time I saw Jared was at the funeral of another friend who’s life was tragically cut short. It also saddens me to see some of the comments of people on here hiding behind their internet pseudonym complaining about the fund that was set up. Do you have no shame? Do you have no compassion for this poor family and this horrible tragedy that has happened, I can only imagine the pain they are going through. Is it too hard to just show a little respect?

• Andy October 5, 2014 at 11:33 am

Shane, most of us did not know the doctor and do not mean to be disrespectful. But have you considered that it may be disrespectful for the family (or more likely a friend of the family) to beg for money? That’s what it comes down to…begging. Think about what it says about the doctor: it says he didn’t care enough about his family to take care of his final arrangements by way of insurance and investments prior to his participating in a semi-high risk (and expensive) sport. I bet he was not so irresponsible. I bet he did prepare. The Go Fund Me account shows something different, probably not something a responsible husband and father with a decent income would have wanted.

• Anna October 10, 2014 at 8:27 pm

How are they begging for money ? All the article says is that IF you want to donate, here is how you can. Like you said, you and others on this board DIDN’T know him or his family. Shall I crawl through your life and then lecture you on everything that you are not doing right according to what I say ? I DID know him, you would be lucky to turn out to be half the man he was. He would never have said a bad word about you or anyone else, it’s called being a class act, you might want to try it sometime.

• Shane Cox October 5, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I just feel that people need to use a little tact when using a public forum like this to express those opinions. Most likely it was a well meaning friend or family member just trying to find a way to help out and show support. And from my own experience it is typically those friends and family numbers that are aware of the complete situation and not just an opinion based off incomplete facts, that donate to these funds. What this family needs most is to feel the love and support of this wonderful community we live in, not for people to use this personal tragedy as a soap box to vent their frustration on something that was done as a show of love and support.

• Andy October 5, 2014 at 5:16 pm

You make good points. Besides maybe the hospital, where can I send a condolence card?

• thinker October 5, 2014 at 4:39 pm

John and Dave, Big Mouths and no brains.Probably just commented to see how many people they could annoy. They would rather error on the side of condemning the dead and the surviving family instead of doing something that will help anyone. If you-don’t know anything about the families financial situation, just shut up. If you don’t want to help someone and by the way NEWS FLASH Dave and John don’t want to help anyone they just want to talk about maybes and show their lack of feeling lack of maturity and lack of logic in this and probably every situation they comment on. If you don’t want to help, get out of the way and watch others quietly help. Watch for these two to open their big mouth’s and display everything they lack in future tragic accidents. Pathetic.

• DAVE RABBITT October 6, 2014 at 10:27 pm

There’s really nothing to do at this point, other than to admit that I was wrong. The main point of my overly harsh comment, was to express a disdain for the current gofundme trend. But in my rantings that followed on Facebook, little did I realize that I was “using this personal tragedy as a soap box to vent their frustration on something”, as SHANE COX stated.

I do now express shame, as I did not show any compassion for his family. It wasn’t until his daughter had posted on Facebook, that I suddenly realized what a horrible jerk I had been. I deleted all of my comments on that Facebook story and wish that I could do so here, as well.

This was definitely not the time, or the place – to pick a fight. You’re absolutely right, THINKER, as it was truly pathetic.

• Rodger Orman October 8, 2014 at 9:41 pm

I gave Jared Royer his first job as an Anesthesiologist. He worked with me at a small hospital in the foothills of the Sierras. He was an excellent physician, a devoted husband and father and an exceptional human being.
    He liked adventure but this time the danger caught up with him. I understand that kind of loss.
    I am blessed for having spent time with him and his family. My deepest sympathy goes to his wife, children, siblings and parents. They have experienced a loss beyond words. I pray that they will find comfort and peace.