IVINS – Local volunteers are invited to show their support for Southern Utah’s Snow Canyon State Park by joining others across the nation in celebrating National Public Lands Day Saturday with a work project to remove nonnative plants and perform trailhead restoration along the Chuckwalla Trail.
The Snow Canyon work project is being coordinated by Friends of Snow Canyon State Park, a nonprofit group organized to provide financial and volunteer resources to support the park.
Volunteers are welcome and asked to meet for the work project from 9-11 a.m. at the Chuckwalla Trailhead, ¼ mile north of the Red Hills / Snow Canyon Parkway intersection off Highway 18 (Bluff Street).
Please RSVP by Thursday so coordinators may prepare for the event. Contact Friends of Snow Canyon board member Melanie Florence by email email@example.com or telephone 435-688-2624.
The project requires working in exposed conditions and pulling plants by hand, including repetitive bending at the waist, and use of light tools such as shovels and rakes.
Drinks and snacks will be provided. All volunteers should bring thick work gloves, a hat, sunscreen, and sturdy footwear. Participants should dress appropriately for weather conditions.
Volunteers will receive a coupon good for a one-time free entrance to a Utah State Park of their choice.
About Friends of Snow Canyon State Park
From the nonprofit organization’s website:
The mission of Friends of Snow Canyon State Park is to support the mission of the park; to preserve and protect the ecological, historical and recreational integrity of Snow Canyon State Park through public awareness and education; and to promote the development of facilities and responsible recreation for present and future generations.
Read more here.
About Public Lands Day
National Public Lands Day is an event that brings together thousands of volunteers from coast to coast to improve and restore the lands and facilities that Americans use for recreation, education, exercise, and just plain enjoyment.
The National Environmental Education Foundation coordinates National Public Lands Day.
More information can be found at www.publiclandsday.org.
- Friends of Snow Canyon: Website | Facebook
- Contacts: Kai Reed, President of the Friends of Snow Canyon State Park – email firstname.lastname@example.org | Board member Melanie Florence – email email@example.com or telephone 435-688-2624
- What: Friends of Snow Canyon State Park workday for National Public Lands Day
- When: Saturday, Sept. 27, 9-11 a.m.
- Where: Chuckwalla Trailhead, ¼ mile north of the Red Hills / Snow Canyon Parkway intersection off Highway 18 (an extension of Bluff Street northward)
- RSVP / Registration: Melanie Florence – email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 435-688-2624
- Cost: None
- Decades of debris: Volunteers clean up old city dump at Snow Canyon State Park
- Explore: Mtn bike Chuckwalla Trail; a backyard playground
- Man freed after hours stuck in lava tube at Snow Canyon State Park
- Trail Reviews: Romantic hikes nature-made for Valentine’s Day
- Woman rescued off ledges in Snow Canyon State Park
- Trail Review: A secret Snow Canyon gem, get the views without the fee
- Easter weekend brings visitation surge to Snow Canyon State Park; traffic delays expected
- Shutdown: Snow Canyon State Park sees revenue surge during national parks closure