Early-morning house fire displaces family

WASHINGTON CITY – Firefighters responded to an early morning blaze that torched part of a home Wednesday.

Between 3:30 and 4 a.m., the Washington City Fire Department responded to a fire at a tri-level home on the 100 North block of 200 East. A garbage can by the side of the home in the carport area somehow caught fire and managed to burn up through the carport’s ceiling and then make it’s way into the attic over two bedrooms, Washington City Fire Chief Brent Hafen said.

“We got most of the fire out from the outside,” he said. However, firefighters had to go inside the home and take down part of the ceiling in order to completely extinguish the fire and make sure they didn’t overlook any smoldering spots.

It took a few hours to get through the attic stuffed with insulation, Hafen said. In the case of attic fires, he said it’s not uncommon for firefighters to check back on homes and make sure they didn’t miss anything.

The home has sustained structural damage, particularly to the trusses in the attic, along with smoke damage. The fire chief said the home’s occupants, a family with young children, have been displaced by the fire, but were able to stay the night at a relative’s home nearby.

Two fire engines and around 15 firefighters responded to the scene, Hafen said.

Related posts

Email: mkessler@stgnews.com

Twitter: @MoriKessler

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.

 

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Posted in NewsTagged , ,

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.