Home catches fire from burning weeds

Hurricane Valley Fire fighters cleaning up after a home fire, Hurricane, Utah, June, 22, 2014 | Photo by T.S. Romney, St. George News

HURRICANE — The exterior of a home in Hurricane caught fire early Sunday afternoon but was extinguished by members of the Hurricane Fire Department before it spread. No one was injured, but the outside of the home sustained burn damage and the attic was damaged by smoke.

Exterior of a home after a structure fire, Hurricane, Utah, June, 22, 2014 | Photo by T.S. Romney, St. George News
Exterior of a home after a structure fire, Hurricane, Utah, June, 22, 2014 | Photo by T.S. Romney, St. George News

Emergency personnel responded to the fire at approximately 3:20 p.m. in the area of 155 N. 1580 W. in Hurricane. An external flame source had started the home on fire, Hurricane Valley Fire and Rescue Chief Tom Kuhlmann said.

The external flame was in a patch of weeds that the homeowner, John Jonhinz, was burning outside his home.

Jonhinz said he finished burning his weeds and went inside thinking the fire was out, but when he returned outside, the exterior of his home was on fire.

Burned weeds outside a home that caught fire, Hurricane, Utah, June, 22, 2014 | Photo by T.S. Romney, St. George News
Burned weeds outside a home that caught fire, Hurricane, Utah, June, 22, 2014 | Photo by T.S. Romney, St. George News

Once the fire crews arrived on scene, they were able to extinguish the fire. Due to the quick action of members of the Fire Department and the Hurricane Police Department, they were able to save the home before it spread any further, Kuhlmann said.

There are currently no districts in Washington County where burn season is open. Kuhlmann urged citizens to follow burn restriction guidelines to help prevent further incidents such as this.

St. George News Reporter Drew Allred contributed to this report.

Related Posts

Email: dallred@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Posted in NewsTagged , , , , , ,

6 Comments

  • St. George Resident June 22, 2014 at 8:36 pm

    This guy is very lucky. I am glad the people (and possibly neighbors) did not lose their homes. Was this guy on crack or something? Seriously you have to wonder what people are thinking. Burning dry weeds in their yard when it’s 103 degrees outside and windy. SMH

  • Real Life June 22, 2014 at 9:46 pm

    File this one under DUHHHHH.

  • Mark June 23, 2014 at 7:45 am

    This is just the beginning, it happens every year, I don’t understand it’s not like the air is dry and it never is windy in the area.

  • My Evil Twin June 23, 2014 at 9:46 am

    Looks like nobody brought hot dogs or marshmallows. . .:D

  • Applejack June 23, 2014 at 10:03 am

    If you burn dandelions in your backyard and the resulting fire takes out part of your trailer, you might be a redneck. 🙂

  • Kinder Neighbor September 28, 2014 at 6:01 pm

    I’m sure that this man is gratified to know that he has such kind, supportive people in his community as the people who have made previous comments. It must be reassuring to them all that they have never made a mistake. I hope that people show them more compassion that they seem to be able to show others. I’m happy that this man’s mistake was handled quickly and without serious damage to himself, his family or neighbors.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.