SOUTHERN UTAH – The National Weather Service has issued a “Winter Weather Advisory” for snow and blowing snow for Washington and Iron Counties, in effect until 10 p.m. Wednesday.
Southern Mountains, including the cities of Loa, Panguitch and Bryce Canyon.
1 to 3 inches in mountain valleys with 5 to 10 inches in the higher terrain.
Winds developing this morning, but snow not developing until early to midafternoon. Snow will become heavy at times this afternoon before dissipating during the mid-evening.
Ridgetop winds southwest 30 to 40 mph with gusts up to 70 mph.
Most of Highway 89 should see limited accumulating snowfall but strong crosswinds are forecast. The greatest winter impacts are likely near Brian Head and Boulder Mountain along with Hogans Pass on Route 72 near Loa, where the combination of snowfall and winds could locally mimic winter storm conditions. Operators of high profile vehicles should use extra caution. Wind sensitive operations may be impacted.
Precautionary, preparedness actions
A winter weather advisory means that visibilities will be limited due to a combination of falling and blowing snow. Use caution when traveling, especially in open areas.
Road conditions from the Utah Department of Transportation
- Road, highway concerns after the storm, with or without plows
- Gorge closure; people stranded overnight recount experiences
- Sunny day after the snow; STGnews Photo Gallery
- St. George Municipal Airport is open, SkyWest-Delta flights resume operation
- News short: I-15 through Virgin River Gorge is open
- Movement in The Gorge for those in gridlock, closure remains in effect
- Breaking News: I-15 through The Gorge completely closed, evacuation plan
- Northbound I-15 through the Gorge is closed, semitrailers stuck
- News short: UHP reopens all SB lanes through Black Ridge, I-15
- Dixie cities not equipped for snow removal, icy roads impassable; avoid driving
- I-15 incidents Millard south through AZ Strip; SB lanes closed on the Black Ridge
- Semitrailer jack-knifes on I-15, lanes blocked
- Snow incidents SR-18; photo gallery
- Minor slide-offs, accidents on I-15, heavy snowfall in the Gorge
- Winter Storm Warning: Statewide snow, gusty winds, road alerts
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.