St. George man arrested for sex abuse of a child, drug charges

ST. GEORGE — St. George Police arrested a man on Wednesday for charges relating to sexual abuse of a child and drug possession.

According to the probable cause statement filed under the jurisdiction of the Fifth District Court in Washington County, police arrested Brenton Roderick Andrews, 26, of St. George, after officers responded to a call from the alleged victim’s mother concerning a video that she had found showing her daughter being sexually molested by her boyfriend.

A second probable cause statement relating to the drug charges states that during a search for weapons and contraband prior to placing Andrews in the police car, officers found a “meth pipe” and a clear plastic baggie containing methamphetamine.

“Andrews was arrested as a result of an investigation conducted by our officers and the drugs were discovered in his possession during that investigation,” St. George Police Sgt. Sam Despain said.

Andrews was charged with two first-degree felonies of sexual abuse of a child; two second-degree felonies of sexual exploitation of a minor; second-degree felony drug possession and class-A misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.

The drug charges were enhanced by one degree because the arrest took place within 200 feet of a school, the statement said.

Andrews was booked into Washington County’s Purgatory Correctional Facility and bail for the charges at booking is listed in total at $51,943.

Juveniles involved in this incident as victims, accused, witnesses or otherwise are not named in light of privacy considerations.

Persons arrested or charged are presumed innocent until found guilty in a court of law or as otherwise decided by a trier-of-fact.

Related Posts

Email: sheinecke@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.

st-george-police-604x272

• DoubleTap February 27, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Over the years that I have resided in Washington county, it seems that there is an ever increasing population of dopers and pedophiles. It is clearly a reflection of the areas justice system inherently failing. Is it going to take an act of vigilantism by a victim’s parents to get the message across? I find it reprehensible that these sick individuals who prey on children in this area are simply given a slap on the wrist and released back into society. Wait till the authorities find (maybe) one of these predators buried out in the desert. I’m just surprised that it hasn’t happened yet.

• Bender March 1, 2014 at 12:55 am

Are you going to DoubleTap these guys before or after their trials dude? Was this guy previously convicted and then cut loose? You’re accusing local law enforcement of being soft on child abuse; I don’t see it that way. Do you have examples?

• Nonbeliever February 27, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Physical and chemical castration should be step one for this monster.
    His perversion has irrevocably damaged and altered a young life. You are never the same after something like that occurs.
    I hope he rots in hell.

• Craig February 27, 2014 at 4:14 pm

This is a seriously sick POS. Castrate him and throw away the key. I’m sure “Bubba” will take care of him in prison.
    And to the mother of that child: How the he** could you have your little girl around him? This guy has loser written all over him. Was it so important to have a “man” in your life? You may not have known about the sexploitation until it was too late, but you had to have known about the drugs. And now your little girl has to pay for your bad choice.

• Greg February 28, 2014 at 10:23 am

How could mother have had the kid around this doper? Do you think that just maybe she is a doper herself, and he was her connection?

• Bub February 28, 2014 at 11:48 am

That’s a good point Greg. The mother should be charged with something for her part in allowing this to happen. She was the enabler.

• Mason February 28, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Or do you think that he did drugs behind her back and lived with his parents and had lied about pretty much any and everything he was doing? But no…please go on assuming the worst about a woman that has been just put in one of the worst situations imaginable already…….

• Kristin Schwiermann February 27, 2014 at 5:34 pm

One…Doubletap you go first, have at it…..Two we have the I-15 which, a good idea at first now brings every kind of traffic through town…..and three Prison really?…I don’t want to pay for this sicko to have room and board while this girls parents have to foot the bill for a therapist the rest of her life!….we need go back to punishments that make an example of sick, drugged out, gang bangers!

• Bub February 27, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Why does “The Lord” allow there to be pedophiles and methamphetamine addicts in the holiest land of Mormondom?

• DoubleTap February 28, 2014 at 8:52 am

@ Kristin Schwiermann: Please don’t tempt me. However, should this deviant make it to prison, I trust that the general population will have that opportunity. It is a well know fact that pedophiles have a short life span in prisons, and if not, a very physically challenged life at the least. Karma has a way to rear its head at the most opportune time.

• JustMe February 28, 2014 at 9:36 am

I am all for public humiliation, including a castration. Prison is not bad enough in this situation. I feel he should be stoned, whipped, and tortured. This is a clear guilty case if there is video evidence he deserves the worst possible things to happen to him. I personally know them (as acquaintances) and he has always been a terrible low life. I wish she would have stayed away from him for all this time. I only wish she would have seen his evil ways sooner, so that he didn’t have the opportunity to hurt the little girl. I am tired of our justice system, I’m sure some lawyer will take on the case and help him plead out to a lower sentence maybe even less than a year of jail time. He should rot in hell but death would be too much of a reward. He should live in hell for the rest of his life and prison is not enough. Maybe instead of sending our good men to war we should send our pedophiles unarmed to Iraq and Afghanistan.

• skip2maloo February 28, 2014 at 10:55 am

I can’t say that I disagree at all with the sentiments here. But what then should be the response to, say, an ex-spouse who coaches a child to allege sexual abuse in order to gain custody? There’s very little, if any really, legal consequences (that’s why it is a common tactic), and it still leaves irreparable damage to both the child and the accused. (Caution: I’m not equating the two situations. Only raising a related problem in which the true abuser is the false accuser, one who should pay some price for their actions.)

• JustMe February 28, 2014 at 3:07 pm

In the case of absolute certainty, (video Evidence) or being caught in the act by police-hurt em. In the case of allegations try them. Right? I’m not talking evidence like eye witness I’m talking full proof 100% positive evidence of guilt. The rest is all ify.

• JOSH DALTON February 28, 2014 at 1:32 pm

I have said before and I’, going to say it again….Chris Hanson!

• carolineredbrook February 28, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Crimes against children are so heinous that accused pedophiles like Andrews, Sylvain Kustyan, Jerry Sandusky, etc. must be apprehended before they have years to continue to destroy young lives. Sandusky and Andrews are now safely behind bars. But unfortunately, Kustyan, who has been formally charged with two counts each of 1st Degree Sodomy and Sexual Abuse of a ten-year-old little boy, fled to avoid imminent arrest. Kustyan, formerly of Tuscaloosa, Alabama and Hermin/ Mazingarbe, France, as an English teacher, has led numerous groups of schoolchildren on trips to the US, the UK and Ireland.. Pedophiles condemn their victims to a lifetime of emotional and psychological trauma and often permanent physical ailments as well. Since the average pedophile has 300 different victims in their lifetime and since the recidivism rate among pedophiles is virtually 100% and since there is no effective treatment and no known cure they must be stopped ASAP!

• Anon March 1, 2014 at 3:01 am

Hello all you wonderful people! I’m so happy to read all of these wonderfully insightful comments on how you all know all the facts and are so properly informed. If you haven’t made the connection yet, I am the sister of the accused. I am not here to tell you that you are all “worthless pieces of …” or “judgmental …” because I do not know you and therefore cannot make that judgment. I am however posting this to express how sad I am that St. George News | STGnews.com can post stories seemingly convicting a person of a crime when it hasn’t even gone to trial yet. There is a little saying in the justice system that goes “Innocent until proven guilty”. How sad it would be for the news to ruin the reputation of someone accused, not convicted, of a crime and then have it turn out to either not be completely accurate or not at all true. The life of that individual would be tarnished and their reputation ruined. How sad that would be. So I hope all of you on here condemning my brother to …, saying that you hope he is grotesquely dismembered, etc., can take a step back and see that you hardly know anything. …, I hardly know anything going on in the investigation myself. But what I do know is that we don’t have all the facts or all the answers and there is a lot more to the investigation than is mentioned and there is a lot of misinformation. I hope people will remember that this man has a family who is being dragged through all of this and feeling destroyed over everything and the last thing they need is to see people who have no ties to any of this, or any actual info on the case, ripping their very loved family member apart on the internet. I’m sure that if it were any of you in the position that I am in, you would already be horribly shaken up and miserably distraught and the last thing you would want is to see people who don’t know you or your family be so disgustingly judgmental and hurtful. Just something I hope you will all think about.
    Ed. ellipses.

• DUH March 1, 2014 at 1:04 pm

It may be your brother and you may want the best cause you have a good heart…but truth of the matter is… I knew your brother, and he was a piece of shit meth smoking heartless human being. You people babied and pampered him so long after KNOWING he was on drugs let him live with you and still chose not to turn him over to a REAL rehab or someone who could have potentially helped one of the smartest people I used to know. Instead you guys have taken a blind eye to his goings on and protected him. Just because you have fond memories of the person your brother once was or the glimmer that he let through because it was family, does not mean he isn’t this disgusting monster. Video evidence, is about as solid as proof gets.

• Unknown March 2, 2014 at 10:20 am

Hello, this is Brenton’s other sister. I’m 15 years old. Why? Just why? I understand how this has upset the community, but it’s also affected my family. You don’t know him. Yeah sure some of you may have been friends with him, but you didn’t KNOW him. Brent is really super sweet and has a wonderful heart. I love him very very much. Who are you to judge? I’m sure you’ve all had family members and friends who have been in situations like this. You think you know, but you really don’t. Nobody does at this point. I love my brother with all my heart. He’s not a bad person. He didn intend for any of his to happen. He didn’t plan this. He says he’s sorry and that he loves us so much. If you really knew the kind of person he is, if you grew up with him, you guys would understand. I’m not telling you to change your mind about about the situation, I’m just asking that you have a change of heart and think of the situation from his perspective. And our perspective. Please, these hateful words and threats aren’t making it any easier for anyone. What are you doing for yourselves? Nothing. Just please take this into consideration and think outside the box. Thank you so so much

• Anon March 2, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Well now I’m curious to know who you are, because you claim to know my brother and family oh so well! No one other than me and my family knows the situations we battled and are currently battling. You cannot possibly begin to imagine the things we have gone through and the steps we have taken to try and do what’s best for the people we love. You are entitled to your own opinions, everyone is, but you are NOT under any circumstances to judge my family unless you have been through everything with us and know our struggles personally. It makes me sad that you appear to lack basic human compassion. I’m not saying you have to have compassion for my brother, but that you should be able, as a proper human being, to take a step back and think of all the other people being affected by the situation and how they are feeling.

• ReapWhatYouSew March 2, 2014 at 10:28 pm

At what point do you call a monster….a monster. I understand it sucks its someone you used to know and love, but its just that. Someone you used to know and love. Video evidence is pretty cut and dry. How many honest possiblilities do you think there are that makes him innocent. How many “He’s a good person” past events are you willing to recall on to make yourselves look entirely past the actions he has chosen to take over the past several years. I’m not saying condemn your family, but I’m sure if you were talking about someone who wasn’t your family doing these same things you’d wish for a noose or much worse. A life of “Hoping for the best without possible thought to the worst” is showis I get that you don’t want to believe it. But sitting there fighting behind the criminals back out of “Blind Love” doesn’t make you much better.

• JustMe March 4, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I will go on record saying I watched Brent’s Dad defending his piece of … son from a fight after the Meth addict was caught stealing from his friends. I can see how loving a family you have, and why an evil person such as Brent would be so forgiven by you all. I’m sure Charles Manson’s mother loved him and she saw signs of evil in him before but ignored it. I’m not saying your brother is Manson yet but you all are blind, he is an evil gross low life POS too bad you all didn’t stop bailing his … out of trouble. His “Sorry’s” mean nothing I’ve watched him say sorry for a ton of … only to make sure he didn’t get the butt whooping he deserved. So when you are all done defending him go ahead and cry about how you should have seen signs sooner.

Ed. ellipsis

• Bender March 1, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Lynch mobbing is in our blood down here ANON. There are over a hundred bodies buried up the road a few miles, killed by Mormon priesthood brethern who appointed themselves judge, jury and executioner. Modern day Internet heroes such as DoubleTap, courageously self named after an execution technique, are happy to be all over extrajudicial justice. Rule of law? That’s for pansies.

• DistantThunder March 2, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I find that impossible to believe. Rule of law is for pansies? I guess its people like you that make it hard for anything good to thrive anymore. There is no such thing as internet heroes. People who proclaim to do good over a piece of software are coward. Not acting on these premises that he so (courageously) proclaims is even more cowardice. And Mormon priesthood holders that were righteous would never murder and hide evidence of what they had done. One person is never Judge, Jury and executioner And also if rule of law is for pansies wouldn’t that mean that you’re advocating that Brant is innocent. Seems to me like Brant isnt the messed up one.

• Bender March 2, 2014 at 8:41 pm

You missed the blatant irony in my post. Get your sarcasm detector re-calibrated please.

• DistantThunder March 2, 2014 at 12:18 am

I think that Anon makes a very valid point, If we were family of the accused wouldnt we be seeing everything in a different light? Why should we so readily cast a verdict when the information has not yet been shown or proved guilty? If It were a beloved family member would you want them castrated? Or being raped and killed in prison? I find hard to believe that society has become so judgmental that we would convict someone to horrible treatment before a trial is even had.
      The Evidence is still being gathered and in no way is it fair to cast a judgment about this unless we have ties to it directly. I’m very sorry you have to deal with this Anon.

• Anon March 2, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I’m so glad to see that there are still people with compassion in this world. Thank you so much for your kind comments. It is good to know that there are people out there like you that are willing to look past the stuff on the front page and realize that these people have families who are being torn apart over the issues. Never before in my life have I been so miserable and felt so lost and helpless, and I have lost a lot of people in my life and been through other very hard times. So thank you for being a person of compassion and even though I don’t know you, I know that you are a person with a kind heart that can step back from the public situation and think about the other people being affected. So thank you!

• DistantThunder March 2, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I too have a brother that has been on the wrong side of the law. And it has been hard for my family to adjust and leave it in the past. My Parents all but lost hope. But just recently has there been a break with him. He has decided to move out here and change his life. I believe that is still an option with Your brother as well. Everyone makes mistakes in their life. A man can always make penance for what he has done. God Bless Anon. Keep that hope in your heart. And to Uknown, Thank you for being a courageous young girl and saying something to defend your brother. You are the kind of people that make it easier to live in this country. God Bless You Both.

• JOSH DALTON March 4, 2014 at 7:57 am

Chris Hanson…

• Candyce March 2, 2014 at 5:32 pm

As someone who used to know Brent i am completely shocked at the allegations made against him. It has been a few years sense i have seen or spoken to him but this does not sound like the person i use to know. To his sisters and the rest of his family i just want to say how sorry i am for what you guys are going through and reading these terrible judgmental comments is not fair people who don’t know whats going on in the situation should not make assumptions about your brother. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

• DefenderOfTheFaith March 2, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Glad to know that some people aren’t heartless nowadays. Thanks Thunder. You made a family’s life a little bit easier. And keep that faith Anon and Unknown. You guys are helping Brant just by saying something. Although I don’t agree with what he has done. I think that he still has a chance to change his ways. You guys just make sure that he wont go back. Smile more. Worry less. Things will turn out for the better.

• DistantThunder March 2, 2014 at 6:04 pm

• DistantThunder March 2, 2014 at 6:36 pm

And to Unknown Thank you for being a courageous young girl and standing up to defend your brother. You both are the reason families last. God Bless you Both

• Seriously?! March 3, 2014 at 1:49 pm

You DO know there was a victim and a victim’s family involved, right?? I’m sure the family of the accused is torn right now for what they’re going through….but what about the family of the poor little girl; you know….the victim!! Think of how much this has affected her/their families! You think the family of the accused is hurting??? Can’t imagine how the family of the victim is feeling. If, in fact, there is video evidence and it’s proven to be this disgusting pervert, then he needs to be locked up for a very long time.

• JustMe March 4, 2014 at 3:17 pm

He has had a problem with Meth for a very long time. His family stands behind him like he is a saint. He is a piece of …, she has become an animal with all the Meth abuse. Regardless if the drugs created this monster in him, he is a monster now. Has been for at least 3 years. Nothing you say can take back what was done to this girl. So why don’t you stop protecting him and get him some … help.

Ed. ellipsis