ST. GEORGE – Students in Dixie State University’s four-year accounting program, in association with the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, will again provide free personal tax assistance to the community during the 2014 tax preparation season. The program will be held in the DSU Udvar-Hazy Business Building at 225 S. 700 E. in St. George on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings beginning Feb. 4, and continuing through Mar. 6, from 4:30-7:30 p.m.
Due to the popularity of the program, the public is invited to check-in at the Udvar-Hazy Building main desk east entrance before each day’s session starting at 3:30 p.m. In addition, DSU will provide free ASL interpreters for the hearing impaired. For more information on the service, please contact the DSU Disability Resource Center at 435-652-7880.
The free tax preparation program, which is also sponsored by the Five County Association of Governments, is designed to assist low and middle-income individuals of all ages with a wide range of tax-return scenarios.
Tax preparation services will be provided by Dixie State accounting students who have completed basic, intermediate, and advanced IRS certification programs. Dixie State Accounting faculty, who are CPAs and also IRS certified, will supervise all tax preparation activities. The service also provides DSU accounting students gain practical experience as they prepare to graduate and enter the professional workforce.
During the 2013 tax season, DSU students provided nearly 4,500 hours of community service, during which they completed 3,814 tax returns to facilitate over $3.6 million in state and federal refunds back to the community.
Participating taxpayers should bring with them the following:
- social security cards for each individual appearing on their tax returns
- wage and earning statements (Form W-2) from all employers
- SSA-1099, showing Social Security benefits
- all types of 1099 forms
- 1099-B forms should be accompanied by supporting documentation showing original asset purchase prices and sales proceeds
- Form 1098 documenting their mortgage interest, mortgage insurance payments, and property tax payments
- documentation to verify medical expenses
- documentation to verify charitable contributions
- documentation to verify child care payments
- any other relevant documentation related to their income and deductions
- a copy of their 2013 tax return
Taxpayers desiring an automatic deposit of their federal and state tax refunds should also bring their bank account and bank routing numbers, both of which can be found on a check from their checkbooks. Taxpayers’ completed federal and state returns will be e-filed, free of charge, to the IRS and the applicable states.
Event recap and contacts
- When: Tuesday through Thursday beginning Feb. 4 and continuing through Mar. 6, from 4:30-7:30 p.m.
- Where: DSU Udvar-Hazy Business Building, 225 S. 700 E. in St. George
- Contact: For more information, please visit www.dixie.edu/taxes, or send inquiries via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- IRS Free File opens, taxpayer software
- Hatch: Department of Justice investigation of IRS is out of order
- IRS announces more than 122 million e-filed returns