HURRICANE — A Hurricane City man was transported to the Dixie Regional Medical Center Wednesday after he accidentally shot himself in the hand with a .40-caliber pistol. The injuries were not life-threatening.
Hurricane City Police officers responded to a residence in the area of 2500 South and 3900 West at 11:54 a.m. Wednesday on a report of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the hand, Hurricane City Police Sgt. Brandon Buell said. The investigating officers determined that the man was trying to disassemble the handgun when it accidentally discharged, striking him in the hand, Buell said.
The man was transported by Hurricane City Fire and Ambulance to Dixie Regional Medical Center.
Helpful gun safety tips from the National Rifle Association
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use
- St. George Man Taken to Hospital with Gunshot Wound after Accidental Shooting
- Police recommend new gun owners get training; safety tips
- High school shooting in Colorado; local safety
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2014, all rights reserved.