Drug Task Force busts Ivins home; three arrested for possession, child endangerment

IVINS – Three people were arrested Monday morning after the Washington County Drug Task Force executed a search warrant at an Ivins residence.

St. George Police Department Capt. Kyle Whitehead said the task force obtained a search warrant for a home at 220 East Circle in Ivins. They entered the home and found three adult males and two adult females inside, as well as two children, an 18-month-old and a 5-year-old.

A search of the home found several items suspected to be heroin and methamphetamine, as well as small baggies and digital scales “commonly found to package illegal narcotics,” according to a probable cause statement.

Arrested during the search were Martin Richard Crowson, 36, of Ivins, Daniel John Oney, 37, of Washington City and Brooke Mitchell, 28, of Ivins.

A search of Crowson’s room produced some “large knives,” which he is prohibited to own as a convicted felon. Prescription drugs were also found in the room. Crowson was arrested for possession of methamphetamine and heroin, possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person and child endangerment.

Crowson was recently arrested in Nevada for drug tracking and was arrested earlier in July for heroin possession. He was booked into the Washington County Purgatory Correctional Facility with bail set at $50,000.

Oney was found with an item Whitehead described as a “possible syringe” on his person while the task force conducted the search. He was charged with drug paraphernalia and drug possession and booked into Purgatory, with bail set at $5,389.

Whitehead said Mitchell had originally left the home before the task force served the warrant and was pulled over by officers. She was connected to “things that indicated narcotics sales,” Whitehead said. She was arrested for drug possession, drug paraphernalia and child endangerment and is being held at Purgatory. Bail is set at $10,389.

The Washington County Metro SWAT team assisted the task force during the execution of the search warrant.

Ed. note: Persons arrested or charged with a crime are presumed innocent until found guilty in a court of law or as otherwise decided by a trier-of-fact.

It was previously reported that Crowson was convicted of drug trafficking in Nevada. This was a reporting error and has been corrected.

Email: mkessler@stgnews.com

Twitter: @MoriKessler

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.

Posted in Life, News, PoliticsTagged , , , ,

• Maggie September 11, 2013 at 9:12 pm

One wonders if these wonderful folks will be candidates for the home for recovering drug addicts that the good people of Bloomington are rejecting?
    Do you wonder why they reject?
    How many of you would want these nice folks in your neighborhood ?
    How about the safety of your family and the value of your home?
    Funny I did not see anything re any other neighborhoods volunteering to have this facility .

• commenters September 12, 2013 at 12:13 am

Haha the news articles crack me up. So a felon can’t have a chef knife for cooking? Etc? .. haha A possible syringe? Does he knw what a syringe looks like? Hard to make a make shift syringe. As long as an entire article could be deceptively written I guess. Good job war on drugs. Now go after the the govt drug dealers. 😉

• commenters September 12, 2013 at 12:15 am

Typo, descriptively written.. and not etc but wtf

• Arthur September 12, 2013 at 10:00 am

poor little SWAT boys, only got to roust some low-life druggies. and no dogs to shoot either

just another boring day in the life of the ‘roided-up militant police.

• bb queen September 12, 2013 at 11:17 am

All these negative comments but I’m thankful the police took the time to bust these losers. There were kids the house! Doesn’t anyone care about innocent babies being subjected to this? But if it was a vicious dog everyone would be freaking out!

• ladybugavenger September 12, 2013 at 1:09 pm

bb queen the problem is there are thousands of these “losers”, and growing, here in this town…so what is 3 compared to thousands…what is it like maybe 75 a year? The negative comments are not towards the bust and the criminals its towards the system as a whole…. the same system that you protect is the system that will bring you down…its all the government….I’d like to see the drug people that get busted actually stay in jail and do some time…but the government set up a system called drug court, a program for people to stay out of jail… the “losers” get a stay out of jail card….all in hopes of rehabilitation…and they continue on there drug antics, either passing the program or not. the system and the people running it know its a war that cant be won, so what happens? I’ll tell you….the people get corrupt and greedy and bb queen if you dug deep enough you would find that people enforcing the system actually make a profit off of the drugs. And those are the one’s that need to be arrested…Before you come at me about how do I know, I saw it with the LA County Sheriff’s (my old neighbor, the meth dealer, gave money and meth to a sheriff, who in turn would not bust the drug dealer until the day came that the sheriff moved on to bigger meth and money and busted my neighbor…and the sheriff continued working his deals, and protected by his fellow officers, the board of supervisors and all government employees that were told of this corruption…the only ones that got hurt was me and my husband and my children because my husband (who worked for LA County) and I, exposed it and other corruption and LA COUNTY and all its resources protected it…and this county is no different-just smaller. Start digging people and educate yourself…. And that’s all I got to say about that….maybe one day I’ll finish writing the book,

• My Evil Twin September 12, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Nah, all these idiots are dopers with vicious dogs. That’s why they are mouthing off about the big bad cops, and the shooting of vicious dogs.

• Aaron Tippetts September 13, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Don’t worry Ivins residents. Your property values aren’t going down like that family whos constitutional you just helped violate. And those children in the home.. None of you folks will ever have to see them again. They will be dangled like a carrot in front of their own mother as she is coehersed to go through drug court. What happens to that family now only God, and a real good attorney only know. I used to live amoung you.I know how I was treated.

• citizenA September 13, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I’m laughing really hard! My opinion is, its hard to violate peoples constitutional stuff when they are breaking the law and doing it themselves, and to have your very small children around that crap? Be a good PARENT and get real! As far as drug court is concerned, how do you know she hasnt already been through that and it hasnt helped her? Does it really ever help people or do they do it as part as their sentence?! I think its really funny how people only comment on how awful cops are for busting those people breaking the law or arresting them for drugs like this. Obviously the ones that complain are the ones that are being arrested or have a history of it with law enfrocement, not those of us who follow the law everyday and dont need these crap drugs to live day in and day out. Thanks to the drug task force and area officers for taking the time to try to help to keep us all safe!

• ladybugavenger September 14, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Citizen A, Maybe I have interpreted what you have written incorrectly. Are you saying that it is okay for constitutional rights to be violated? Are you saying, it is okay for there to be an Abuse of Authority. Are you saying it’s okay for the ones who are suppose to enforce the law to break the law? Have you not ever been persecuted? Have you not ever been falsely accused? What if you were falsely accused and persecuted and the same methods and practices of violation of rights are used towards you, is that okay? I somehow get the feeling that you don’t care if there is corruption within the ones with power just about the corruption amongst criminals. People in power can do their job and catch criminals but there is a real problem in this country when people in power break the law to catch the criminals. ( I’ll say this to you: you follow the law everyday, do you think it’s okay for people in authority (law enforcement, for example) to break the law? You say you follow the law everyday….You have never stolen anything? You have never done a traffic violation? or did you just not get caught…From what you have written I come to the conclusion that you have not stood up for something you believe in and you have not stood against something you don’t…

• truthseeker formerly commenter September 14, 2013 at 12:52 am

Ladybug Avenger is correct with what she said….. And the corrections system is in the business of making money. Prisons have their stock bought and sold on the stock exchsnge and the more prisoners the better they do. Dictatorships around the world have lower perce.tags of people behind bars than we do. Ha we jail.more people for more stuff than anyone. And why?- it doesn’t stop crime or deter it. Drug related charges arent some insanely bad crime. By the way, I’ve never used drugs, I just understand the system is made to generate revenue off of the citizens any way it can. Victimless crimes and petty drug charges do nothing to improve societ. It’s a slapstick approach without looking at the cause of the problem… Another note, many children grow up a hard life and turn out better for it. People assume that if someone is criminalized for different reasons that they are somehow bad people and bad parents. People listening to the news and media have a prejudice built in to them about everythng in life, arbitrary separatist identities.

• truthseeker formerly commenter September 14, 2013 at 12:59 am

To CitizenA, it’s not the proper role of govt to keep us safe. That’s a false idea that’s been pushed upon you since ’01. We have the right and ability to defend ourselves. The law enforcement is originally called peace officers not law enforcers. They do help us and sure some officers are polite and courteous, as they should be. Too many people cower down to cops without realizing that they work for us, the people. Start learning about how eadh traffic stop is a mini investigation and how they use many tricks to Incriminate yourself and get you with a charge. The legal system is stacked against tbe common man on purpose. Learn the true history of law. the true history of law.

• Aaron Tippetts September 14, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I am so glad that this forum exists, and that I found it. I notice there is a big issue brought up in this thread. One that begs my attention. Of course , my motivation for commenting here will be suspect. That is as it should be. I am a convicted felon. …and not just any convict but, one who has literally been shot by a former Washington County Sheriff,and imprisoned for many long years. One side affect of my ill treatment in Utahs all but wonderful corrections facilities, is the not so healthy interest I now take in Southern Utah politics. With that in mind please forgive me for my snide approach, and know that
    I am nowhere near Southern Utah, so none of this, “I feel threatened” stuff.
    With regards to Citizen A; I believe you are mistaken to infer that this household of people lost their rights as soon as they broke a law. Thats kind of like you are saying that “Once a person becomes labeled a perpetrator, they cannot be victimized”.
    To illustrate my point: You know how many vehicles of mine have been stolen from me and fenced off( sometimes back to the same car dealership), by the authority of law? Answer: 6 Why? In my opinion, because I was always the “defendant”,or “perpetrator in question. Therefor I cannot be a victim.
    All in all, I don’t see where the SWAT team was necessary in this case, but hey, as long as those seven (or so) magnificent machine gun wielding pro’s could also take the time out of their day to scare compliance into these children, then so be it .
    Now, if I can make one parting suggestion to those, “losers” who intend to continue using, as I do; Get a prescription, and join us “winners”.

• truthseeker formerly commenter September 14, 2013 at 8:35 pm

And Aaron was too nice by not giving details more about the correctional prison system. It does.t correct anythng. I’ve never been in jail but understand thst prison further creates a feeling of inequality in the prisoner which does no such rehabilitation. Also, when convicts are asked wby they committed cetain crimes it was bcus they were either broke and motivated monetarily or they were disrespected by another human being. So let’s start there when we talk about stopping and deterring crime by getting at the very foundation of why the crime is committed. Oh and most crimes aren’t that bad. Society is just taught any small crime means someone is a bad criminal. And in this court system, once a criminal, always a criminal. Aaron is correct… Side note, some states prison systems are the largest purchaser or pharmacuetical drugs. Connect the dots people.

• truthseeker September 15, 2013 at 1:33 am

My message got taken down. I exposed too much of the truth again.