St. George, Utah – The Utah Department of Transportation will be demolishing portions of the St. George Boulevard Interchange Bridge in St. George beginning this Thursday through Saturday.
St. George Blvd will be closed over Interstate 15 at night and lanes on I-15 will be closed while crews work to demolish portions of the bridge. The Exit 8 ramps will be used as travel lanes so motorists will have to use Exit 10 Green Springs Drive or Exit 5 Dixie Drive to get off and on I-15.
Local traffic will be able to follow detour signs around the St. George Boulevard closure between 1000 East and River Road.
Though not noted on the map, Exit 6 to Bluff Street will also be open and accessible to motorist.
Early morning commuters in the vicinity should expect a few extra minutes of travel time and be prepared to take alternate routes.
Based on the interchange’s good condition, the choice was made to utilize the existing bridge and most of the area’s existing infrastructure with minor modifications to accommodate the project needs. The edge of the bridge will be removed and then widened to accommodate the new Diverging Diamond Interchange configuration. This interchange type has proved successful at several locations in northern Utah and will be the first such structure for Southern Utah.
The following is a brief description of the nighttime closures and schedule:
- Thursday, Aug. 8; 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. – Full Closure of I-15 Southbound and St. George Boulevard from 1000 East to River Road
- Friday, Aug. 9; 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. – Full Closure of I-15 Northbound and St. George Boulevard from 1000 East to River Road
- Saturday, Aug. 10; 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. – Full Closure of I-15 Northbound and/or Southbound and St. George Boulevard from 1000 East to River Road
Dates and times are subject to change. For the latest traffic information please visit www.udottraffic.utah.gov.
UDOT expects to have the new traffic pattern operational by Nov. 29, followed by a few weeks of minor construction tasks with minimal traffic interruption.
To learn more about the project, visit www.udot.utah.gov/stgeorgemp8 where you can find information about the project, construction activities, and road closures. There is also a video link on the site for how to drive a DDI.
- Project Hotline: 435-216-9313
- Project E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ed Note: Updated at 9:27 a.m., Tuesday, Aug 6, 2013.
- Residents given preview of Exit 8 Interchange construction
- Future construction at Exit 8 interchange could help reduce traffic congestion
Submitted by: The Utah Department of Transportation