ST. GEORGE – General registration for the 2014 Ironman 70.3 St. George triathlon opened at noon Friday. The race will be held May 3, 2014.
Registration and more information can be found on the event website.
The swim is held at Sand Hollow Reservoir, while the bike and run courses wind through downtown St. George, Snow Canyon State Park and the unique red hills of Southern Utah. Additionally, there are 75 qualifying slots available for the Ironman World Championship 70.3 in Lake Las Vegas, Nev.
Athletes can expect the following from the 2014 course:
The 1.2-mile looped swim will be held at Sand Hollow Reservoir. The water temperature is expected to be between 60 and 64 degrees Fahrenheit.
The 56- mile bike course will take competitors around Sand Hollow Reservoir, through Hurricane and Washington City and then St. George. Athletes will proceed into Ivins and up through Snow Canyon State Park, returning to downtown St. George via State Route-18.
The 13.1-mile run begins in St. George’s Historic Town Square. Athletes will follow the looped course onto on Diagonal and Bluff Streets before heading up Red Hills Parkway through the Red Cliffs Desert Reserve. The finish line is on Main Street in downtown St. George.
The 2013 Ironman 70.3 St. George marked the first time St. George hosted a 70.3-mile triathlon, rather than a full Ironman. Canada’s Brent McMahon emerged as the ultimate competitor, finishing with a time of 3 hours 51 minutes.
“Ironman is an industry leader in triathlons with a long and storied history of tremendous athletes,” City of St. George Recreation Manager Steve Bingham said. “Not only does the event help greatly with tourism and brings economic benefits to our community, but it’s an honor for St. George to be able to take part in such a special event.”
Among the numerous 2014 race sponsors are the City of St. George, St. George Convention and Tourism Office, Utah Sports Commission and the Ironman Foundation.
St. George News Assistant Editor Alexa Verdugo Morgan contributed to this report.
- St. George Ironman 70.3: ‘Perfect day’ for Ironman as racers excel; STGnews Videocast
- St. George Ironman 70.3; STGnews Photo Gallery
- IronKids inspire returning Ironman Fireman Rob Verhelst; STGnews Videocast
- Ironman 70.3 medical tent, marvel of preparedness
- Ironman St. George 70.3 road closures, detours, course maps
- 50 marathons by 50? Local mom-grandma adds Ironman 70.3 to her birthday quest
- Boston Marathon bombing: Utah runners, St. George response
- Ironman 70.3 St. George selected as new U.S. Pro Championship for 2013
- Ironman announces changes to St. George race
- Flashback on Ironman St. George 2012
- Photo Gallery tribute to the last full Ironman St. George
- 2012 Ironman St. George wrap-up
- Ironman swimmers in rough water
- Ivins Fitness Festival runs for fun with Ironman
- St. George Ironman No. 751, a man on a mission
- Ironman road closures, detours, course maps; Sand Hollow advisory