Dixie Downs home evacuated when garage catches fire

ST. GEORGE – Emergency personnel responded to a garage fire at a home in Dixie Downs this morning.

A garage fire evacuated a home in Dixie Downs, St. George, Utah, Feb. 25, 2013 | Photo by Ashley Lenai Kelton for St. George News
A garage fire forces residents to evacuate a home in Dixie Downs, St. George, Utah, Feb. 25, 2013 | Photo by Ashley Lenai Kelton for St. George News

The fire, caused by an equipment malfunction, was reported around 8:30 a.m. by the owners of the home.

The St. George Fire Department responded and contained the fire before it spread. There was no structural damage to the home, though a wall was knocked down in the garage in order to vent the smoke.

“We put it out pretty fast,” SGFD Capt. Sam Larson said. “32 firefighters and 10 vehicles were on scene.”

Ashley Lenai Kelton was on her way home this morning when she saw some smoke from the fire and decided to see where it was coming from:

“We went into this community and saw this house fire,” Kelton wrote in a direct Facebook post to St. George News. “There was a little boy and his mommy that was home and they got out safely and on time. I went over to see if they were ok and to see if they needed anything especially for the baby. I wish there was something more i could do.”

The residents had quickly evacuated the home and were unharmed.

Email: avmorgan@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.

structure-fire

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Posted in NewsTagged , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.