ST. GEORGE – The holiday season is close at hand and KONY’s Coins for Kids is not far behind. The holiday charity, which supplies toys to the children of families in need, is accepting applications until Nov. 16.
So just what is Kony’s Coins for Kids?
Coins for Kids is a nonprofit organization that provides Christmas presents for less fortunate children in Washington County. All of the money that is raised is spent for the children – 100 percent of all funds raised are used for this purpose. There are no administrative costs or paid staff, everyone working with Coins for Kids is a volunteer and all donations are completely tax deductible. The money that is raised for this effort comes directly from the community in the form of individual donations as well as corporate donations.
Applications for assistance for children will be taken only with a written and signed recommendation from:
- The school counselors where the children attend;
- a clergy leader; or
- any of the several social service agencies participating.
Applicants can then take the completed recommendation letter to the application center at the St. George Leisure Services Administration Building at 86 South Main (downstairs) in St. George. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
The recipients will also be asked for the following:
- Photo ID and proof of residency in Washington County.
- If the ID does not show the applicant’s current address, proof of residency can be obtained through supplying a utility bill, insurance bill, credit card bill, or bank statement.
- Children’s birth certificates of each child showing linkage to parents.
- Court Documents if child is in the custody of someone other than a parent.
- A letter from referring organization
Applications are then given to various charities that desire to provide Christmas gifts for children. Canyon Media will have the database for the names.
No applications will be taken after Nov. 16.
- No small miracle: Coins for Kids
Copyright St. George News, StGeorgeUtah.com Inc., 2012, all rights reserved.