Small fire incident at Hurricane High School

fire
stock.xchng photo

HURRICANE – A woodworking shop teacher at Hurricane High School noticed the smell of smoke in his classroom this morning.

“We evacuated the building just like any fire drill,” Principal Kevin Pedersen said. “(The students) all went out and stood where they are supposed to and we did a little accounting.”  He said everyone was present as required.

The Hurricane Fire Department was called out, said Pedersen, and upon arrival, the source of the smoke – a little smouldering in sawdust – actually combusted into a small fire in a duct.

“So they put a little water on the building and a little on the floor,” Pedersen said, “the main building wasn’t even affected.”

The entire incident took about 25 minutes.  Petersen said there’s a little water and smoke damage and the students for that class will be meeting in the metal shop for the time being, school continues as normal.

email: jkuzmanic@stgnews.com

twitter: @JoyceKuzmanic

Copyright 2012 St. George News. 

 

 

 

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Posted in NewsTagged

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.