ST. GEORGE – The Dixie 6 Jr. Rodeo Series returns for its 2012 season on Feb. 11. and runs through May 12 at the Washington County Fairgrounds.
Rodeo officials require an entry application two weeks before the rodeo; however entries are accepted on the day of the event as well.
Amanda McCallister is one of many Washington County residents who volunteer on behalf of their children to make the rodeo a success year after year.
“We have anywhere from 70 to 80 kids participate, and I think it is something they look forward to enjoying each year,” McCallister said.
Participants are girls and boys 14 years old or younger and western attire is required. Events vary for boys and girls and are separated by age. Each participant may compete in every event according to his or her age.
Age and events
- Boys and girls 7 years and under may participate in barrels, poles, goat tail pull and dummy roping.
- 8-11 year old girls may participate in barrels, poles, goat tying, breakaway and dummy roping.
- 8-11 year old boys may participate in flags, goat tying, breakaway, sack roping and dummy roping.
- 12-14 year old girls may participate in barrels, poles, goat tying, breakaway and team roping.
- 12-14 year old boys may participate in goat tying, breakaway, steer stopping, steer dobbing and team roping.
Dates and start times
- Feb. 11 at 11 a.m.
- March 23 at 4 p.m.
- March 24 11 a.m.
- April 20 at 4 p.m.
- April 21at 11 a.m.
- May 5 4 p.m.
- May 12 at 11 a.m.
Copyright 2012 St. George News.