St. George Man Taken to Hospital with Gunshot Wound after Accidental Shooting

Stock Photo, St. George News

ST. GEORGE – A St. George man was transported to Dixie Regional Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries early this morning after accidentally shooting himself in the leg with a 9 mm handgun.

Officer Johnny Heppler said the man was cleaning his gun at home around 1 a.m. when he shot himself. Heppler said officers did not find any suspicious activity at the scene.

Heppler said everyone should remember the following gun safety tips:

All guns are always loaded. You should treat every gun likes it loaded.

You should always keep your finger off the trigger.

Never point a gun at anything you do not intend to destroy.

Check and recheck our weapon, both visually and physically. Ensure there is not a round in the chamber.

Even still, always treat the gun as if it was loaded.

email jwatkins@stgnews.com

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2011, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Posted in NewsTagged

1 Comment

  • SHAWN April 19, 2011 at 3:03 pm

    I am shocked at how much this happens. Its such common sense to check the chamber for a bullet but COMMON sense isn’t so common anymore.

Leave a Reply