Cigarettes Likely Cause of Home Fire

home fire in st. george
Photo courtesy of KSL.com

ST. GEORGE – A series of explosions that attracted the attention of resident’s in St. George and Washington Friday night may have been caused by cigarettes.

KSL reported last night that cigarettes thrown in a garbage can were likely the culprit in a home fire in the area of 2400 East and 750 North. The fire caught a lot of attention because the homeowners stored equipment for their hot air balloon company there.

Two of the four cylinders used for their business had caught fire and made loud explosions when they went off. It is unclear if those cylinders have been found yet.

Battalion Chief Ken Guard said when he arrived on scene, the fire was mostly in the garage and exterior of the home. His greatest concern was that high winds would transfer the fire to the neighboring home. However, firefighters were able to contain the fire in under an hour.

One teenager was home at the time and was able to get out safely. KSL reports that a neighbor woke him up.

Email jwatkins@stngews.com

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Posted in NewsTagged

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.