St. George News | StGeorgeNews.com, a Canyon Media company, is accepting and considering applications for the following full-time positions:
- Graphic designers
- Sales and marketing consultants
Proven experience required. These are not entry-level positions.
About St. George News
St. George News is an online news outlet headquartered in St. George, Utah, since 2010. Now a Canyon Media enterprise, St. George News and Canyon Media, which has served Southern Utah for 20 years, comprise Southern Utah’s largest and most powerful news, radio, advertising and marketing media.
We deliver comprehensive regional news throughout Southern Utah, northwest Arizona and parts of southern Nevada.
We place a priority on community, reader and listener engagement. Our news products include breaking news, civic and community concerns, public lands, local-state-federal interface, law enforcement and judicial processes, legislation, education, people, politics, sports and events.
St. George News is seeking reporters able and willing to cover a combination of news assignments including hard news, sports, breaking news, general assignment and enterprise stories.
Reporters must be able and willing to do the following:
- Develop short-form reports and long-form in-depth reports.
- Deliver professional news writing in AP style.
- Deliver quality reports timely under pressure – accurate, thorough, comprehensive, clear and engaging.
- Be able to work collaboratively, energetically and courteously with reporters, editors, multimedia departments, community, sources and newsmakers.
- Adhere to journalism ethics and standards.
- Provide multimedia enhancements to reports such as photos and videos, both independently and in concert with our videography and graphic communications departments.
- Attend and respond timely to various news lead sources.
- Set up reports on a WordPress platform.
- Understand and utilize social media and electronic sharing platforms.
- Work schedules will vary depending upon story demands, beats and other factors; nights and weekends included.
St. George News provides in-office workspace, cameras, related equipment, studio, videography and graphic communication support; scanner; smartphones in some cases; news cars subject to availability and reporter insurability.
Reporters are required to have their own computers suitable for the demands of the jobs, in addition to any provided by the company, and have their own reliable vehicles. Coming equipped with one’s own camera equipment is a plus.
Salaries begin at $24,000 or higher depending upon experience and skill set. Employees receive salary increases based on merit, including quality and quantity of news writing and editing product, relationship strengths, professionalism, attitude, initiative and creativity.
Benefits include paid time off and employer contribution toward health care insurance.
Applicants, please submit the following application package by email:
- Your resumé including education and work history, areas of expertise and at least three references.
- Samples of your work. Reporters and videographers, samples of news writing and multimedia work may be shown through links or copies to published work. Include a description of your part in the production of the items provided (samples should reflect before-and-after editing product where possible). Portfolio / samples of complementary multimedia you have produced yourself or directe, these may include videography, photography, graphics, among other things.
- Your letter describing to us who you are and what you will bring to St. George News. Why do you want to join the St. George News team? You might include specific areas of your expertise and knowledge, special interests, how you approach your workday, relevant life experiences, what kind of environment you work best in, your professional goals. Consider this letter a conversation-starter.
Reporter and sales applicants email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Video/Graphic Design applicants email: email@example.com
Application packages will be reviewed and viable applicants will be contacted for interviews.