ST. GEORGE – Desert Hills High School’s Cross Country team, from St. George, was among many who spent the night on Interstate 15 in the Virgin River Gorge of the Arizona Strip Saturday.
The team was on a return trip from a track meet in San Diego, passed through Mesquite sometime around 10:30 a.m. and soon found themselves locked into a long line of traffic backed up on the Interstate due to traffic incidents, snow and ice conditions that ultimately led to the stretch of highway being closed down for the night.
After Arizona Highway Patrol cleared traffic to move Sunday morning, the team’s bus proceeded to Desert Hills High School where it was met by anxious parents and friends, most of whom had not been able to make contact with the team through the night due to limited cellular service.
The team’s coach, Logan Fielding, and team members met with St. George News at the high school Sunday afternoon and told of their experience that night. As the night wore on, many teammates found blankets and food from the coach bus they were traveling in and were able to share those with people in need stuck in the surrounding line of cars.
Videocast by Shane Brinkerhoff, St. George News
- St. George Municipal Airport is open, SkyWest-Delta flights resume operation
- Sunny day after the snow; STGnews Photo Gallery
- News short: I-15 through Virgin River Gorge is open
- Movement in The Gorge for those in gridlock, closure remains in effect
- Breaking News: I-15 through The Gorge completely closed, evacuation plan
- Northbound I-15 through the Gorge is closed, semitrailers stuck
- News short: UHP reopens all SB lanes through Black Ridge, I-15
- Dixie cities not equipped for snow removal, icy roads impassable; avoid driving
- I-15 incidents Millard south through AZ Strip; NB lanes closed on the Black Ridge
- Semitrailer jack-knifes on I-15, lanes blockedSnow incidents SR-18; photo gallery
- Snow incidents SR-18; photo gallery
- Minor slide-offs, accidents on I-15, heavy snowfall in the Gorge
- STGnews Photo Gallery: Let it Snow
- Three injured when I-15 accident causes rollover down embankment
- Winter Storm Warning: Statewide snow, gusty winds, road alerts
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2013, all rights reserved.